Questions regarding French Polynesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

globetrotter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time asker :wink:

I will be traveling to French Polynesia in June for my honeymoon. The whole trip is being planned by myself (she's got her hands full enough with the wedding) and I want to get some feedback on the diving conditions. This is our second trip there, the first trip we did Rangiroa, Moorea and Tahiti. I thought the diving was OK on Rangiroa and pretty sweet on Moorea.

This trip I'm thinking Huahine, Manihi and Taha'a. Any suggestions or criticisms? Has anyone experienced great diving on other islands? Obviously diving won't be the focus of the trip, but it wouldn't hurt to have access to some nice underwater scenery. We're not fussy divers, but we've also been to some great places in the past so expectations can be high.

TIA,
globetrotter

I'm planning a trip to the same islands at the end of May, so hopefully you'll get some responses I can use too. Scuba Jim posted a great four part review a few years ago that are definately worth a read (you should be able to find them with a search for tahiti in the subject field - they're at the bottom of the screen), but there isn't a lot of current info on the board.

Definitely can recommend diving in Huahine. Dove there in September (along with Rarotonga, Moorea and Bora Bora) and Huahine was right up there. Definitely on a par with Moorea.

Can't help with Manihi, but about Taha'a, I've never had really good reports on Raiatea (which is the other part of the lagoon). Not sure about the operators on Taha'a, but the main one on Raiatea I've gotten first-hand reports of some questionable safety practices, and never more than a "good" on the diving. Of course, it's a big lagoon, and if you're diving Taha'a, likely a very different shop, but I'd be cautious there.

Have you considered Bora Bora and the Mantas?

-Amber

Thanks Amber! I appreciate the feedback regarding Huahine. Taha'a is probably going to be our "downtime" resort anyways, so perhaps we'll skip the diving based on your feedback. Safety first after all :)

We haven't looked at Bora Bora mostly because:

a) it's expensive as all get up and pretty touristed.
b) we had the most incredible manta experience on Kandavu Fiji last year.

Any other places you'd recommend? Where dio you stay on Huahine?

-globetrotter

Bora Bora is a must! The diving is great, and Bora Bora is probably one of the most beautiful & romantic places in the world! Slurge for an overwater bungalow...what the heck, its your honeymoon!
Congratulations!

globetrotter:
Thanks Amber! I appreciate the feedback regarding Huahine. Taha'a is probably going to be our "downtime" resort anyways, so perhaps we'll skip the diving based on your feedback. Safety first after all :)

We haven't looked at Bora Bora mostly because:

a) it's expensive as all get up and pretty touristed.
b) we had the most incredible manta experience on Kandavu Fiji last year.

Any other places you'd recommend? Where dio you stay on Huahine?

-globetrotter

Globetrotter,

Was on a ship, so didn't stay on Huahine. It's *very* undeveloped, so don't expect a luxury resort there. The dive shop I used was Pacific Blue. You can reach them at info@divehuahine.com. They'd probably have recommendations for you.

While I agree with you that Bora Bora is the most touristy of the islands, the lagoon is worth it for a couple days. The mantas are magnificent, but you already know that. They offer several other dives as well. Try TopDive for something less touristy and more oriented toward divers. Nice complex and terrific dive operation. If you're going back to Moorea, you can get a pass for the two islands which saves a bit on the diving.

Let me know if you have other questions!

-Amber

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom