Questions from Laypeople to Those Who Know Critters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chavodel8en

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
And don't want to start a new thread.

Here's my question :
Several years ago, diving the Metridium Fields in Monterey, I came across 2 rockfish (I forget what kind), locked mouth to mouth. They weren't struggling, they were just locked like that, not moving. I swim away, and 15 min. later come back and they haven't moved an inch. I always thought it was odd.

Any of y'all know (or educated guess) what was happening?

I always assumed it was either fighting, or reproductive related?

And don't want to start a new thread.

Here's my question :
Several years ago, diving the Metridium Fields in Monterey, I came across 2 rockfish (I forget what kind), locked mouth to mouth. They weren't struggling, they were just locked like that, not moving. I swim away, and 15 min. later come back and they haven't moved an inch. I always thought it was odd.

Any of y'all know (or educated guess) what was happening?

I always assumed it was either fighting, or reproductive related?

No idea about rockfish but I saw two seagulls doing that. They had both swallowed half of a fish and were not willing to let go.

I've seen a number of fish species mouth fighting, but can't verify that's what the rockfish were doing

Back
Top Bottom