Questions for Thomas Ivey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcohn

Reaction score
Nice to see you back Thomas,

A few questions have occurred to me to which you may know the answers.

1. Some sources on the Internet claim that HP tanks corrode more readily than LP tanks. Any truth to this? Are there alloy differences between the tanks that could result in different corrosion rates?

2. We always hear from completely unofficial (and unreliable) sources that tanks which are only rated for LP use in the USA are rated for HP use in Europe, therefore overfills are safe. I realize we may not be talking about Pressed Steel tanks. Are the tanks the identical with just a different rating stamp or are there differences such as alloy or heat treatments?

3. I've noticed that the empty buoyancy numbers for the PST HP tanks have changed from the old -1, 0, +1 to the new -2.5, -1.4, -0.4. What is assumed in these values (fresh or salt water, valve included, etc.) and why was there a change? Do the new values apply to the old tanks?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your response.

Ralph

Back
Top Bottom