Questions for Recent Philippines Scubaboard Invasion Participants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gwklein

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I will be traveling to Cebu and Bohol in August and staying/diving at Magic Resorts on those islands. I am trying to estimate how much American money to bring with me for incidential expenses, particularly tipping. I realize that the Invasion stayed on different islands and used Atlantis Resorts, but I have been unable to get good information from my internet searchs about tipping and other incidential expenses in the Philippines. Some sites indicate that tipping is not normal in the Philippines, where as others suggest 5-10% of the total cost of the trip. My neighbor, who grew up in the Philippines, told me that tipping was not normally done in the Philippines but that has been rapidly changing in the tourist areas and seemed to be different at each visit back home. Any recent advice about (1) how much to tip, (2) whether it should be in dollars or pesos, and (3) how the tip should be given/distributed (e.g., all tips for hotel staff and diving staff included in one envelope or should they be individually distributed) would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to start a discussion about tipping in general, but I'm interested in recent specifics for tipping at a Philippines resort where diving, accomodations, and food are all provided. The second set of questions deals with the Philippines airports. There was a post that the packing of regulators in carry-on bags was prohibited on domestic flights in the Philippines. Was this correct? There were also some concerns about the domestic terminal in Manilla. Any suggestions for what to expect at the domestic terminal?

I can only speak about the way things went during the INVASION.

Yes your regs MUST be in checked luggage.

As for tipping each resorts gave each crew member an envelope and they could specify how much of their tip they want to go to whoever they choose. The resorts did recommend 10% of the trip cost but that was ENTIRELY up to each individual as the envelopes were sealed an dropped into a locked box at the end.

I would ask your resorts their policy on tipping.
I will tell you most locals work for around 5 dollars per day. I would get around 100.00 converted into peso since not everywhere accepts dollars.
I always tell SB members at a SB event, tipping is a personal thing what may seen like a lot of money to one person could seem low to others.
Long story short if you get great service it should be rewarded IMO.

Enjoy your trip

Thanks! The information is much appreciated.

Any recent advice about (1) how much to tip, (2) whether it should be in dollars or pesos, and (3) how the tip should be given/distributed
Tip is never a big issue in SE Asia except in Hong Kong unfortunately!!!!!
1. A simple local meal is less than P100.00 pp. So my tip for the dm is P100.00 per dive.
2. Peso is better especially in remote area.
3. This is the most tricky. Some operators have dedicated tip box for the dive shop and the resort separately. Otherwise please enquire.
4. I never pack reg as hand carry in Philippines.
5. Only a few carriers use the tiny Manila domestic terminal. PAL and 5J use T3 which serve both domestic and international flights. However, PAL also has its own exclusive T2 for international flights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom