Questions for Mike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
1. I can envision the Nautilus Lifeline becoming very popular on charter boats. Picture 8-10 onboard, all plugged into chargers in the galley or in a jumble of gear. Any idea how to tell them apart or recommendations for labeling? I am reluctant to vibro-etch my name in it as it might compromise the depth rating.

2. I am not a licensed marine radio operator but I understand it is against FCC rules to operate a marine VHF radio on land. Is this correct and how up-tight are they about it. For example, could we legally stand on a beach and chat with another diver in the water?

3. Let’s say the name of the boat is Nautilus and all 10 divers are tuned to Channel 8 and in the water. Is there a verbal protocol or recommendation to initiate a chat session with the boat and other divers?

4. Are all chargers with the same small USB connection compatible with the Nautilus Lifeline? I don’t plan on bringing a laptop just to charge it. BTW, I thought it was a little odd that a charger didn’t come with it.

5. I am assuming that the USB cap should be in place for use in the water, but removed for storage so it will air dry. Are replacement caps readily available at a cell phone store or Radio Shack? It won’t take me long to lose them.

1. I can envision the Nautilus Lifeline becoming very popular on charter boats. Picture 8-10 onboard, all plugged into chargers in the galley or in a jumble of gear. Any idea how to tell them apart or recommendations for labeling? I am reluctant to vibro-etch my name in it as it might compromise the depth rating.

2. I am not a licensed marine radio operator but I understand it is against FCC rules to operate a marine VHF radio on land. Is this correct and how up-tight are they about it. For example, could we legally stand on a beach and chat with another diver in the water?

3. Let’s say the name of the boat is Nautilus and all 10 divers are tuned to Channel 8 and in the water. Is there a verbal protocol or recommendation to initiate a chat session with the boat and other divers?

4. Are all chargers with the same small USB connection compatible with the Nautilus Lifeline? I don’t plan on bringing a laptop just to charge it. BTW, I thought it was a little odd that a charger didn’t come with it.

5. I am assuming that the USB cap should be in place for use in the water, but removed for storage so it will air dry. Are replacement caps readily available at a cell phone store or Radio Shack? It won’t take me long to lose them.

Sorry for belated reply.
We missed seeing your post.
I hope I can help you with some answers..

1. We recommend using a sharpie on the top cap (inside the upper hinge) for your initials or such. Please note that unless you are using the Lifeline to communicate with your dive boat, the battery will only need charging every 2 - 3 months. The unit does go to sleep when it is not in use. When the battery indicator shows 80%, we recommend charging back to 100%. At 80% battery, you can transmit 30 minutes of talk time and still have 24 hours of distress transmission.

2. FCC regulations allow use of a marine radio "around the water". marina's all over the U.S. monitor and chat on CH 68, 69. I don't believe it is a problem talking from the beach to a diver or boat. But it would be a problem talking beach to beach or inland.

3. Verbal protocol would be to call the base station as follows "*name of station* repeated 3 x" followed by your name 3x and then the channel number that you are standing by on. followed by "over". and then wait for call back.. Note that CH 16 is the "hail and distress channel". that means that after establishing contact on CH16, you should switch to the "green button" channel. This is not a concern if you are operating off in remote areas like Socorro Island

4. Unit will charge with any standard usb connection. I have this dream of universal adoption by keeping the price as low as possible and am very serious about that. no compromises on engineering, design or robustness and quality during manufacturing. But in all other things ie. proving a charger that I judged many people would not use - I chose not to include anything that would make the Lifeline more expensive..

5. Lifelines are shipped with a spare USB cap. doesn't need to be removed unless you are charging ie. once every 2 or 3 months. If you - or anybody else was to lose one - drop us a quick note and we'll put a couple of them in the mail with our compliments. We do sell them and our accountant won't be happy with that offer. I don't care. I want everyone with a Lifeline to be happy!!

Hope this info helps
Sincerely
Mike Lever
inventor of the Lifeline

On the second question. It is not legeal to use a marine radio from shore unless it is licensed that way. Which is what marinas should be doing. That said I have never know anyone using one some of the time from shore to be identified and prosecuted. And there are a lot of hand held radios sold at marine stores. They rarely can find people who make false calls to the CG. And that's a lot more serous.

Just stand on the shore and stick your toe in and you are legal....

I tried finding a citation on the FCC web site but they don't say what you cannot do. Rather the rules say what you can do. And to make it more confusing unless you are commercial you are not required to have a license. I did find this on another site.

MAY I USE MY HAND-HELD MARINE VHF RADIO ON LAND? You must have a special license, called a marine utility station license, to operate a hand-held marine radio from land -- a ship station license IS NOT sufficient. You may apply for this license by filing FCC Form 503 with the FCC. To be eligible for a marine utility station license, you must generally provide some sort of service to ships or have control over a bridge or waterway. Additionally, you must show a need to communicate using hand-held portable equipment from both a ship and from coast locations. Each unit must be capable of operation while being hand-carried by an individual. The station operates under the rules applicable to ship stations when the unit is aboard a ship, and under the rules applicable to private coast stations when the unit is on land.

Even so as I said above I have not heard of anyone getting a fine for occasional use from shore that was not a false distress call. As a sailor, I have and use a handheld radio without a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom