Questions about the PSD course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of the classes may have you do a fitness test-

500 yard swim
800 yards mask & fins
100 yard rescue tow in full gear
15 minute water tread

You can work on those in the pool to get yourself into shape, you can also work on your basic scuba skills till you can do them blindfolded- literally. Use a blacked out mask and work with a buddy to be able to do all of the basic skills blind. (I was going to skip this as it should be obvious but just in case- have a safety diver watching while you do this) Learn to locate every piece of equipment by feel alone.

Short version, get as comfortable as you can with your equipment and emergency drills in a safe environment. When the actions you need to take to correct a problem get to be automatic then you're where you need to be.

The basic PSD courses are not too difficult- relax and enjoy it.

DR1 is Dive Rescue One training.

There are dozens of weight systems out there. A weight belt is not the oldest system but close and as far as PSD (Public Safety Diving) goes it is the system that works best.

KISS simply means Keep It Simple

Streamlining means no unnecessary crap attached to, stuck in pockets, hanging or dangling anywhere.

As far as exercise goes you need a combination of strength and aerobic. I own a Recumbent Cycle shop on the side of I ride a lot of recumbent cycles which works for me. You need to find something you enjoy so it isn’t a chore to go do it. The more you like it the more you do. The more you do the better you will get.

I don’t know how many bodies you have been around but I would recommend a wet suit for the first one under water. It’s easier to clean, inside. :wink: Just kidding……..Stay dry and don’t mess up the interior… Seeing one for the first time is no big deal. The problems may come when you start a homocide investigation on the bottom before you ever move the victim. Then it's compounded when the bleed, vomit, and void themselves of other bodily fluids all over you on the way up or just moving them to do a bottom bag.

Be careful in current. Even a slight one can be very dangerous if you’re not watching what you’re doing.

Gary D.

TC:
The mask and fins one I could do, I should be able to do the normal swim one ok, same with the rescue tow. Now in my Stress and Rescue course though (I am SSI) WE were taught to ditch our gear. Is this different in a situation like this? Also, I have done a water tread for a very long time. Almost set a record at a place I used to have to take swimming lessons. That was a LONG time ago. LOL. But I help my instructor with Pool classes at the college, so when the students have to tread water, I join them. There we do 10 mins. That I have done with a weight belt before too. LOL.

As for having Basic Skills down to doing in blindness, I am good to go there, with the exception of like an air share ascent. I know I could if I had to, but I have not tried it ever. And I have learned how to find everything blind. I don't know exactly why, but for fun I guess, I learned how to do that on my own. I have always used a black skirted mask, so I always lost some peripheral vision and I guess I just at the time thought it a good idea to learn that. So again, I can do that part fine.

I know I will like the class, I have always enjoyed anything SCUBA related. I know I said that in a previous post, but I mean Anything, even cleaning my gear after diving. LOL. So I deainatly will enjoy it.

Gary:
I kind of figured that on the DR1 thing.I use a weight belt anyways, so no problems with that either. Nice to know on KISS too. I have never heard that before. Also good to know on the streamlining. I have been trying to find a better way to attach my Octo to myself. I used a plug, then tied that off to my bc. Most recently I have been using a necklace. I really like that too. Makes it very easy to get to if I need it, and I find it gets caught on less stuff. Would that be acceptable, or should I find a different way to do it? If a different way, any suggestions?

What the heck is a recumbent bicycle? I love bike riding, and just got a new one. I have a friend who rides one a lot so I am sure we could find something to do. If worst comes to worst, I will just start riding around town.

I have not really seen a real body other then at funerals. I remember many years ago my uncle was found dead in his home. I did not find him, his body was gone when we got there, but he had fallen and hit his head on a desk and died. There was blood on a bunch of stuff, and when we were there, it had not yet been cleaned. I can still remember that smell... I live out in the country, so I know dead animals pretty well as strange as that sounds. I know that animals and not humans obviously but that is the closest I have been to dead things. I have also seen some crime scene photos, real ones that were pretty bad. Did not really bother me as far as making me sick or anything. Again, I don't think I would be too worried about those kinds of things hitting me, would just take a nice long ass shower after, and clean my gear with some kind of soap or something like that. The thing I think would get me would be seeing a body, or parts of one for the first time. Again, I don't think I would "mess up" the interior of my suit, but again, will not know till it happens.

AS for current, I know it can be dangerous. That is part of the reason I dislike it so much. But I know that if I can get comfortable in the river, with its incredibly bad vis, and current, it would make me much better in other places and situations. That is why I feel so much better when I am on a line. We did a body recover scenario on a training day. It was my first time in this quarry (White Star in Ohio if you might be familiar) and we had no issues bringing it up. It was actually my first dive with the diver I went with, it was he and I who did the search and recovery, then we had another diver observing, and 2 other people watching at our exit (the blockhouse) one had a camera. It was interesting to see the video afterwards, he had come over us in the crusher pit and taped us from above, so it was interesting to see that video.

So for now would you say riding a bike might be an adequate start for this at this point? And the skills thing?
Thanks again all for your help with this stuff,

Paint

The answer to pretty much any gear selection or placement question is- Ask the guys on YOUR team what their standard is.

And if they don't have a standard- why not? Making folks go out and buy the same gear is never an easy nut to crack because it's expensive, but it can also save lives.

If they don't have standards ask them IF they had a standard what would it be? (Gentle way to lead them down the right path without sounding like a know it all FNG)

You then take the "Hypothetical" standard and start gently turning it into a real standard.

This should show you what Recumbents are: Northwest recumbent Cycles - Post Falls Idaho

I don't want a hose around my neck under the conditions PSD's dive in. That could make for a nasty entanglement.

How do you feel about hugging one of those dead bodies or even a dead animal that has started to decompose?

Gary D.

TC:
I have been doing that at every training day. I ask A LOT of questions,but for those exact reasons. TO learn the best and safest ways to do things. What we have are guidelines, which allow us to change the way we do certain things if the situation permits. It works very well for us. Again, as our primary concern is safety of the diver and personnel, we only change those "standards" if the situation ABSOLUTELY permits change.

I know I have also said this, but we are a volunteer team, so we have no specific equipment list. What we do have consists of like a "minimum" if you will. Like cold water enabled regs, a redundant air source weather it be a pony, H or Y valve, or in the case of doubles, an isolator manifold... Anyways, you get my point.

Gary D.:
Interesting about the recumbents. I just browsed through that link quickly, but do those offer any advantages over riding a normal bike?

I would agree about the hose, again why I ask so many question's here, and at team training. Would you have any suggestions as to how to rig an octo then? Or would you suggest like an air 2?

AS far as hugging a dead body or animal.... I THINK I would be ok with it, being that I know I am in an enviornmental suit that I can wash. Obviously I would rather not do that, but I know at some point I probably will have to. Again, at this point I THINK I would be ok with it, but I know that I will not know for sure whether or not I could do it until I am presented with a situation in which I had to. You saying that brings to mind the movie "The Shining", the scene in the bathtub. LOL.

Thanks again for all your help.

Paint

Just curious, did I scare everyone off or something?

Gary D.:
Interesting about the recumbents. I just browsed through that link quickly, but do those offer any advantages over riding a normal bike?

I would agree about the hose, again why I ask so many question's here, and at team training. Would you have any suggestions as to how to rig an octo then? Or would you suggest like an air 2?

AS far as hugging a dead body or animal.... I THINK I would be ok with it, being that I know I am in an enviornmental suit that I can wash. Obviously I would rather not do that, but I know at some point I probably will have to. Again, at this point I THINK I would be ok with it, but I know that I will not know for sure whether or not I could do it until I am presented with a situation in which I had to. You saying that brings to mind the movie "The Shining", the scene in the bathtub. LOL.

Thanks again for all your help.

Paint

Not run off just mega busy.

Back on tract, look at this site which is one of many regarding recumbent benefits. Medical Benefits of Recumbent Bicycles

As far as Octo’s go we use the Sherwood Shadow 2. Small, streamlined, compact and work very well. The Air two is fine for recreational diving but I don’t like them for PSD activity.

Later

Gary D.

As far as shape, treat your body as you would like it to perform under any circumstance. If a diver gets winded after a day walking in and out of the water in humid 90 degree weather. Drysuit, full-face and all related equipment and you are wiped out. Your in the wrong job. Get in shape. It's good for you too. Run, bike, walk, box whatever. Something is better than nothing.

If you look in the mirror and can honestly tell yourself your in good enough shape, ask a stranger for their opinion (A child) they'll tell you the truth.

The course isn't hard if you know how to dive.

Good luck.

WEll, one thing I have been trying to work on is loosing weight and getting in shape, and more physical exercise. One of the things I have been trying to start doing again is Bike, but still looking for someone to go with. Finally got another bike, so I really want to start doing that again. Also as I am sure you could figure from my screen name, I play Paintball. I have been out of it for awhile now because my tank needed testing, but I got that taken care of so I am hoping to start getting some days off on the weekends and start doing that again. Also been walking my dog a lot lately.

Strangely enough, I have no issues hauling a ton of stuff around in a drysuit when the weather is hot and humid as hell. I can do that easily. My problems come with the damn wetsuit. I hate the damn thing. LOL. Plus it is a 7mm farmer John so my core is hotter than hell, and I overheat.

From what I can tell, and what I have heard, the course sounds pretty easy. I was just afraid of like an excessive amount of swimming, or swimming down and carryring a brick or something else so many feet or yards on one breath or something like that. I think I will do fine though.

Thanks again.

Paint

Back
Top Bottom