Questions about the Baja California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
I found the video below on U-Tube. Apparently it is a shipwreck offshore Naples Florida named the Baja California. I have a few questions and would enjoy hearing back from divers that know things about this shipwreck.

ps: I am a recreational diver that likes finding and collecting certain things for the fun of it. Lots of black water experience. No problems with low viz or currents.

Questions:

Is the Baja California shipwreck located offshore Naples?

Which dive boats or dive shops provide charters to the Baja?

How deep is it?

How long of a boat ride is it?

Are divers still finding things in it, and/or around it in the sand?

Is it small, large, broken down, intact, penetrable?

Do you think the video was "staged"?

As I understand it, artifact collection is currently prohibited in Florida. There used to be an Isolated Finds program where you could report an artifact (arrowhead, old bottle, etc.). Then the state of FL would have a certain amount of time to request it. If they did not request it, it was yours to keep.

However, this was repealed a while back and now there is no such program. Therefore, the majority of people collecting artifacts are doing it illegally and not reporting any information to the state. This results in archaeologists who do not receive the benefit of field data from amateur collectors, collectors who are placed in an adversarial relationship with achaeologists, and crazed FWC officers that arbitrarily persecute hobbyists pursuing an interest in their state's history.

Now how messed up is that?

King of Snarge
Orlando, FL

Luckily, the Baja is not in Florida. The Ultimate Getaway out of Ft. Myers makes it one of their last stops on the way in from the Dry Tortugas. I don't know any charters visiting the Baja only, but I'm sure you can hire a boat if you like. It's a fair haul offshore. All of the reports I've seen or heard of are warm clear water, no current or anything like that, and there are a zillion bottles/artifacts in the hold for the taking. I've seen some of the bridge equipment. Awesome artifacts when cleaned.

Did some scratching around and here is what I found. Other interested parties may find it helpful

FLORIDA KEYS Shipwrecks Baja California Wreck Key West

The Ultimate Getaway Dive Boat | Photos | Ultimate Getaway

Baja.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom