Questions about Oasis regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WanderLust68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all -

I'm looking for a reg that will help me with my dry mouth issues during dives. It sounds like this is the only reg that really tries to address the issue but after reading reviews about it I'm still a bit on the fence.

Reading through a review about the 2013 edition of the Oasis, the Scubalab tests gave it a Fair-to-Very Good rating range with its lowest marks for the stiffness of the purge cover and performance when in certain positions. A personal preference of mine is having the 2nd stage on a swivel and from what I've been able to find, this is not a standard feature on the reg.

For those who own or have used this reg, could you comment on its effectiveness of helping with a dry mouth during dives, stiffness of the purge cover and if the 2nd stage does come with a swivel?

Thanks!!

They use to be good mid-range regulators haven't used them in several years. Try it in the pool and then get a Atomic universal swivel hose.

Unfortunately there are no LDS's within 100 miles of me that actually has one in stock for me to look at so it would be a matter of ordering it from an online source. The drawback of actually testing it out is then the shop would consider it used and only refund a portion of the purchase price.

Unfortunately there are no LDS's within 100 miles of me that actually has one in stock for me to look at so it would be a matter of ordering it from an online source. The drawback of actually testing it out is then the shop would consider it used and only refund a portion of the purchase price.

I get a red-flag from that. Any way you look at it, your regulator is going to need to be serviced. No matter how good a reg is I would personally look first at regs that you can get serviced locally by a *competent* tech. Having to send your reg away for service can mean the difference between missing it for a couple of days or a few weeks every year.

10 or 12 years ago I had a Maximus, which was similar to the Oasis, and in terms of dry mouth it was better than a lot of other regs on the market. The moisture fins are more than a gimmick. It works. Sherwood's regulators are also extremely reliable although in terms of breathing effort the Maximus I had was well behind the curve as compared to competitors' products at the time. I have no idea if breathing effort is still their Achilles heel (suspect not) but it was in the past so I would at least avoid buying an older 2nd hand one.

R..

thank you for the information. I should clarify, there are no Sherwood authorized LDS's within a 100 miles that have the 2013 Oasis in stock, otherwise I would have been on the road today to check one out in person.

I have no personal experience with it but you might consider this as an option also: Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Regulators: Bio-Filter
Apollo's patented moisture system can now be added to almost any brand regulator. The Bio-Filter is easy to install, use, and maintain...The moisture system assures clean moisturized air.
But they're not cheap - $200.

thank you for the information. I should clarify, there are no Sherwood authorized LDS's within a 100 miles that have the 2013 Oasis in stock, otherwise I would have been on the road today to check one out in person.

That sucks:depressed:, Ask your dealer if his sherwood sales rep would send a demo unit for you to try. I like the Apollo bio filter but you have to keep the cleaning maintenance up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom