Questions about my new (used) RIX SA-6B

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ntheath

New
Reaction score
Hello world,

I'm getting my feet wet with compressors. I recently purchase a RIX SA-6B. The PO openly indicated that maintenance was likely due on the 1st stage as the compressor has some anomalous noises when she's starting up. She pumps good, fills up to 3500 PSI no problem (haven't tested higher). But, I want to address whatever is causing the noises during operation. This is the best I can describe it:
-random screeching/chirping during operation, not constant, ends to level off with increased temperature
-small hissing sound during operation

I ran a video by RIX and the guy didn't seem to think anything was wrong with it, so I could be over analyzing the operational sounds (and variations).

My main questions is - what's the best way to determine if the issue is with the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd stage? Or, other diagnostic steps I should take to start to figure out what to attack? I have the manual and the parts catalog and while the manual contains detailed directions on how to work on the pump, i'm not clear on what to attack first. Maybe I should just do an overall maintenance on all stages to level set to a base line?

Thoughts?

thanks in advance,

Look in a more recent thread about the rix sa-6. Ian has some good advice about setting up some pressure gauges to do some checks. First, take off the compressor cover and clean it all up, you’ll then be able to check for worn parts etc. according to the manual

The attached is useful to evaluate condition.

Attachments

• Rix maint 1 (1).pdf
    66.4 KB · Views: 130
grf88 thanks. I am just tearing into my rix also. Any more of these handy tips not in the manual?

Read thru BOTH of those threads..in they're entirety... may help.

Gawd I never even looked at the OP date lol...

Just off by about 18 months or a couple years, lol...who's counting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom