Questions about Masterdiver Cert with SEI.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John John

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was looking for more information about the Masterdiver cert. The website doesn't have a lot of the requirements needed for this cert. I completed my OW in a college setting that had 64 hours of contact and am in the process of getting my AOWP in college now. I will have about 50 dives mostly on 3 or 4 artificial reef local to where i am. I'll have 4 deep dives,6 freshwater,1 shore,10 navigation, 2 drift, 2 search and recovery. after completing my AOWP i will have 128 hours I dont know what other information you would need to know. I am also interested in divemaster or assistant instruction, but not right away for that. Any information would be great and i hope i posted this in the right spot.

John,

Here are the standards for Master Scuba Diver. This is a certification designed to increase the knowledge, skills, and experience of an open water diver and truly results in an advanced diver. If you are interested in leadership, the Instructor path, you will gain the same knowledge in the Divemaster course and work towards further leadership goals. Feel free to contact me: dmarelli@scientificdiving.com

Dan

MASTER SCUBA DIVER

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] TRAINING OBJECTIVE
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]This course and certification is the highest and most prestigious non-leadership rating that may be attained by a Scuba Educators International diver. It is considered the supreme standard of diving excellence and recognition of expert training. This course of instruction is often offered to students over a period of time rather than in a formal class environment. In this way students can build knowledge and skills while meeting all the completion requirements including other specialty courses.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] PREREQUISITES
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1. Age 18 years or older.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]2. Medical Questionnaire or medical by a physician.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]3. Statement of Understanding/Waiver & Release completed and signed if adult or completed and signed by student and parent or guardian if a minor (under age 18). [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]4. Advanced Plus Diver certification or equivalent rating from another recognized diver certification organization.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] CREDENTIALS
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1. Currently certified Scuba Educators International Instructor.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]2. Assistant Instructors or Divemasters may participate in instruction under the supervision the Scuba Educators International Instructor.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]3. These standards and procedures must be followed unless specific written waiver is obtained from the Scuba Educators International Board of Directors.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] EQUIPMENT
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1. Students shall use the Minimum Student Scuba System (see definitions) and other equipment as required.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]2. Instructors, Assistant Instructors and Divemasters shall use the Minimum Leader Scuba System.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]3. Specialized Scuba and underwater equipment as required.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] MATERIALS
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Student[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1. The recommended text is Diving Fundamentals for Leadership[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]2. Scuba Educators International Air Diving Tables[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]3. Scuba logbook.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Instructor[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Scuba Educators International Advanced Diver Instructor Guide[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] CERTIFICATION
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1. The prestigious Master Diver certification is awarded by the instructor upon completion of all course requirements.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]2. Certification is awarded when the instructor submits a properly completed and signed Certification Form and certification fee to the Scuba Educators International office.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Prior to certification, the student must complete all following:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1. Be certified as a DRAM Rescue Diver (Scuba Lifesaving Accident Management Rescue) diver. (Students with a Diver Rescue certification from another recognized organization can take the DRAM Rescue Diver crossover to gain this rating.)[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]2. The student must hold at least one approved Scuba Educators International specialty certification.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]3. Hold current certification in each of the following:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] a. First Aid (NSC, ARC, AHA, ASHI or equivalent).[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] b. CPR (NSC, AHA, ARC, ASHI or equivalent).[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] c. Oxygen Provider (DAN or equivalent).[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]4. A current SCUBA diving logbook is required.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] RENEWAL (not required)
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] CLASSROOM TRAINING
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Requirements for classroom training can be met by attending advanced lectures that cover the following areas. Similar material is covered in the Scuba Educators International Divemaster course. That course may include students interested in obtaining this information for use toward Master Diver.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1. Advanced dive tables and decompression planning.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]2. Accident management.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]3. Physics theory.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]4. Diving physiology theory.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]5. Equipment mechanics.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]6. Medical aspects.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]7. Environmental awareness.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] POOL OR CONFINED WATER SKILLS
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The completion of all pool and confined water skills enumerated under Prerequisites and Certifications sections above shall satisfy the requirements for this course.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] OPEN WATER TRAINING
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1. This course shall include at least ten SCUBA dives that include:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] a. Two dives to a depth of 100 feet.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] b. Two dives while wearing a full wet suit (top and bottom) or dry suit.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] c. Two night dives or two dives in limited visibility (0-2 feet).[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] d. Dives in both fresh and salt water if not previously logged.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]2. Supervision of these dives shall consist of pre-dive planning and post-dive debriefing with the Instructor (Assistant Instructors and Divemasters may assist under the supervision of the Instructor.)[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]3. An open water performance test will be conducted as follows:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] a. Without any gear, swim 200 yards. Without stopping, surface dive to 10 feet, recover a three pound object and hold on the surface for at least two minutes.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] b. Hold breath underwater for 20 seconds, surface for ten seconds and repeat.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] c. With Skin Diving gear and weights (wet suit optional) swim 400 yards on the surface and surface dive to 30 feet in depth.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] d. With SCUBA gear and weights (wet suit optional) swim 300 yards on the surface breathing through snorkel.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] e. Simulate rescue of a fellow diver from 50 feet in depth and hold on the surface for two minutes.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] f. Descend to between 80 to 100 feet (on line) and:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] 1. Remove and replace mask.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] 2. Remove and replace regulator.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] 3. Receive and interpret hand signals.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] g. Swim on SCUBA a distance of at least 25 yards at a depth of 20 feet without a mask.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] h. Navigational techniques - navigate a three-legged course at 30 to 40 feet depth. Individual legs must be at least 100 feet long, and each corner is to be marked with line and float. Return to starting point (or within 20 feet of starting point) without surfacing. Surface observation may be used to assure that each point is reached.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] i. Plan and execute a simulated decompression dive (Do Not stay on the bottom long enough to require actual staged decompression. Remain at decompression stops for simulated dive profile).[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] EXAMINATION AND TESTING
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]A written closed-book examination will cover items studied during the prerequisite courses as well as the advanced information presented during this program. It is recommended that this test contain at least 100 questions and cover all aspects of recreational scuba diving[/FONT]

Thanks for catching this Dan. I was in the pool the last couple hours. In addition to what Dan posted the instructor may also add materials that they feel will benefit you in your local environment. By the end of this cert you should have instructor level knowledge and skills. All that will be missing is the teaching component.

Back
Top Bottom