Questions about Jeju diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heejae_cho

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a Korean who's spent most of her life outside of Korea (so never dived there). I'm not a cold water diver (the coldest was Galapagos in August) but we haven't dived for a while and as we are braving the quarantine to see my family for a bit and spend a couple of months in Korea, we are considering making our way to Jeju for some diving, probably early October after Chuseok.
From what I've read it seems like Seoguipo area is the best, so we'll probably go there but would like your opinion about how many days you'd consider diving there. Is it varied or rather repetitive? We've dived in Caribbean, Egypt, Maldives and Philippines etc. I'm a macro person and husband enjoys schools of fish.
Also I read some shops offer boat diving which I imagine is a bit easier than diving from the rock. Worth it?

Thank you in advance - I did search Korean websites too but couldn't find one that's like Scubaboard...

Hi @heejae_cho

Welcome to Scubaboard.

@skippy311 might be able to help you in your quest, good luck.

We are always open to dive!

You definitely want to dive in Seogwipo. You can choose 2 types of diving either boat and rock island dive. The boat diving is much easier you don't have to move cylinders to the rocky island. The boat will come back to port after diving and you can take a surface time also you can go to public toilet. other than that the rock diving is no toilet, difficult to in/out of the water, crowded and the wave will damage your gear. no possitive side. I recommend that you dive 3 days, you can dive 3 major island. I'm native Korean feel free to contact to me :)

You definitely want to dive in Seogwipo. You can choose 2 types of diving either boat and rock island dive. The boat diving is much easier you don't have to move cylinders to the rocky island. The boat will come back to port after diving and you can take a surface time also you can go to public toilet. other than that the rock diving is no toilet, difficult to in/out of the water, crowded and the wave will damage your gear. no possitive side. I recommend that you dive 3 days, you can dive 3 major island. I'm native Korean feel free to contact to me :)
~~^^

Honestly it is rather repetitive. At Seogwipo there are basically 3 main dive sites. All islets 10 minutes offshore. All pretty much exactly the same.

Things can vary greatly day by day, but really you wont see any noticible difference of marine life or conditions between any of those sites. Knowing the waters of Jeju are becoming more and more temperate it surprises me that there are not any other sites other than these rocky islets that most operations go to.

I wouldnt spend more than 2-3 days there personally. Jeju is great, but in terms of diving it can be what is known as "blowing ones wad"...meaning all that is meaningful to do and see, one does in the beginning and then.....emptiness.

Honestly it is rather repetitive. At Seogwipo there are basically 3 main dive sites. All islets 10 minutes offshore. All pretty much exactly the same.

Things can vary greatly day by day, but really you wont see any noticible difference of marine life or conditions between any of those sites. Knowing the waters of Jeju are becoming more and more temperate it surprises me that there are not any other sites other than these rocky islets that most operations go to.

I wouldnt spend more than 2-3 days there personally. Jeju is great, but in terms of diving it can be what is known as "blowing ones wad"...meaning all that is meaningful to do and see, one does in the beginning and then.....emptiness.
As an Irish/Korean in Korea I hope to add some input. Diving in Korea can be tricky, but all dive sites are challenging and good! I am CMAS Korea, though really that is nothing. The ocean is vast.

Back
Top Bottom