Questions about Hollis solo harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanH

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just ordered a Hollis bp/w package that includes a solo harness. I have a question about rigging the harness. My brother-in-law has a traditional hogarthian harness and he crossed the shoulder straps in the back. I guess it's supposed to make it lay closer to the body. Can I do this with the solo harness or is it even necessary?

I am anxiously awaiting the brown Santa to show up with my new toy.

I just got a Hollis SS plate w/solo harness and it fits very nice without crossing the harness. If you try it let me know how it works out for you. Keith

I put it together both ways and the straps lay flatter against my back with the straps crossed. I'm not a heavy (6'2" 205#), but I have broad shoulders and the straps bunched up and twisted with the standard weave. I figure I'll dive it like this next week and see how I like it, but just wearing it around the house it seemed more comfortable to me.

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with crossing the straps or not crossing them. However, I really don't think that you will feel any difference when diving with the amount of insulation that you will be wearing in Ca water. I have reasonably broad shoulders and have not had any problem with a new BP (with new, stiff webbing) since I am in 7mm wet or a drysuit. I'll be testing it out with a 3mm suit soon...

I too only dive a 7mil or dry,so far I have only used it with my drysuit. I am not a big guy 5'7" 185lb. The shoulder straps come out of the plate so close together there seems to be no reason to cross them. It also makes me think it would be more difficult to get in and out of. I wonder if crossing my straps would make them ride up on my neck seal and that would not be good. Let me know how it works for you. Keith

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom