Questions about diving with dive flags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I attended a DAN talk recently and was introduced to the idea of diving with a dive flag.

Where I'm from (SE Asia), I've never heard of such a thing, or seen anyone use one. It was the first time I learned there was such a practice.

The DAN spokesperson said the tragedy at Bali where divers got lost could have been prevented by the use of a dive flag.

I'm just wondering, how do you properly use a dive flag during a dive? What are the procedures, and possible hazards to look out for?

What safety rules to follow when diving with one?

And what is a good one to buy?

We often use dive flags when we dive, both at home in Ontario, Canada and when we dive south, such as in Curacao. We prefer a flag that looks like this because it lets people who don't know what the dive flag means, understand there is a person underneath the flag: Vinyl Inflatable Float with Dive Flag at LeisurePro .

I'm usually the buddy who is holding/towing the flag. I started out having the flag on a reel and hated it. This caused way to many tangle problems. When I switched to this kind of line holder Line Holder 40ft Polypro Line it became much easier to let out and reel in.

As I descend, I let out the line. I watch out for other people towing flags as well as scan the surface before descending for any possible things that may be tied to the bottom and I might get snagged on.

I recently was snagged in Curacao on the line of a boat that I didn't realize had dropped a cinder block and long rope before a reef drop off and was happily fishing about 200 feet from the block. All that happened was we stopped and went the other way, reeling in the line as we went, until we found the block and went around it.

Overall, diving with a float/flag is easy once you practice it a lot.

It's the law in some places. Outside a few exceptions, we aren't allowed to dive in Florida without a dive flag. Go on a charter and the DM will tow a marker and the boat will fly a flag while following the marker. On shore dives, we tow our own flags.

Florida in the U.S. requires the Red & white dive flag while other countries may require that one or the blue one or both, depending if towing the flag or the boat. Check with the local laws where you will be diving for specifics.. and if it's not required, i'd recommend the red or both to be flown.
towed is the flag on a weighted pole with a float normally. stay within 100' of the flag and it's normally good depending on the situation..

I attended a DAN talk recently and was introduced to the idea of diving with a dive flag.

Where I'm from (SE Asia), I've never heard of such a thing, or seen anyone use one. It was the first time I learned there was such a practice.

The DAN spokesperson said the tragedy at Bali where divers got lost could have been prevented by the use of a dive flag.

I'm just wondering, how do you properly use a dive flag during a dive? What are the procedures, and possible hazards to look out for?

What safety rules to follow when diving with one?

And what is a good one to buy?

If you are looking for a very rugged dive flag that is easy to tow, stays upright and also provides some safety in the form of buoyancy at the surface - Please take a look at the MAKO Hawaiian Float system.

MAKO Spearguns Hawaiian Hard Float

MHHF2-2.jpg

We also have an inexpensive reel which holds 150 ft of nylon line which should be enough line for diving to depths of around 100 feet or more, depending on the current. The ratcheting reel automatically locks when the lever is released. This is much simpler and easier to manage than a reel with a drag knob. Simple one hand operation.

MAKO Spearguns Utility Reel

MUR.1-2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom