Questions about DGX drysuit regulator - adjusting IP, OPV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elgoog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello -

I have the DGX drysuit reg and was troubleshooting it this weekend due to some very slight bubbling at the OPV.

The bubbles weren't out of the OPV itself but at the port, so I replaced the o-ring as that made the most sense. That didn't stop it either so I swapped out the OPV and it's fine now. From the DGX website, it seems that these OPVs are known to bubble - that's not what happend to me (I don't think) but it seems like they're basically consumables anyway.
-> The OPVs are supposed to be adjustable from 90psi to 240psi. DGX specifically says "factory set to 180 PSI rating but that can and will change over time and with travel and shipping". I can adjust it with a 3mm allen key but how do I know what it's set to or measure what it's currently at? Is it based on number of turns backed off from fully tight?

I also checked the IP of the reg for funsies and saw it was a little high at 145-150psi but it is not creeping even over a 6hr period. I had all ports plugged except for the hose the IP gauge was on to eliminate any slow leaks that could potentially mess up the IP reading. DGX says it's supposed to be at 120psi but Piranha sells almost the exact same one and says the IP range is 125-145psi.
-> I don't think the current IP is a big problem and, honestly, don't remember what it was before. Is there any way I can adjust it externally? Maybe screw off the top cap and loosen the spring like the Deep6 regs?

FWIW, I've emailed DGX as well. Been dry docked this weekend and bored out of my mind.

Thanks in advance,
elgoog

DGX sold several regulators intended for drysuit inflation, an earlier model that resembles the Highland drysuit regulator and their current model, which is considerably larger and heavier. I have both. The older model's IP is at around 165PSI. The Newer model's IP is around 145PSI. I would like to drop that into the 120PSI range.

Are you certain about the adjustable Intermediate Pressure? I found only one plastic shim installed between the spring and piston. Usually you add shims to increase and remove them to decrease the IP.

Now, I'm pretty happy about having an MK2 for a drysuit inflation reg that's set to around 130PSI.

The Newer model's IP is around 145PSI.
I definitely have the newer one as I've seen BAUE folks with the Highland reg and mine is significantly larger. Interesting that you're seeing the same IP as what I'm seeing right now especially considering DGX says it's set to 120psi.

Are you certain about the adjustable Intermediate Pressure? I found only one plastic shim installed between the spring and piston. Usually you add shims to increase and remove them to decrease the IP.
I assumed it would be adjustable but had no idea how that was achieved. You've provided far more information than I had before and, based on that, I don't think I'm going to muck around with it.

I'm actually happy with the IP where it is. I've read the reasons to have it lower but the way it is now has not caused any issues for me so far. Before this, I used to use an Apeks DST with an IP of 140psi for my drysuit just because that was the one I had an extra of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom