Lessons Questionable science/validity of the Dunning-Kruger Effect: Implications for competency self-assessment in diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A: I find it enormously delightful that a bunch of people on the internet who (presumably) have done no research whatsoever as trained and experienced social psychologists are working together to determine the validity of a study in social psychology about people who don't know what they're talking about.

B: I remember hearing an interview with David Dunning some time ago where the interviewer asked, "How confident are you in the results you produced?"
He answered, "Well... I might be completely wrong, but there's no way for me to know it."
I have a PhD in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, so does that count? One can meaningfully contribute to this discussion without having a degree in psychology... a good background in statistics and research design would be sufficient. What's really at question here is the approach used to analyze the data.
Finally, it's very common for non-psychologists (e.g., statisticians) to contribute to the design, analysis and interpretation of psychological research.

I have a PhD in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, so does that count? One can meaningfully contribute to this discussion without having a degree in psychology... a good background in statistics and research design would be sufficient. What's really at question here is the approach used to analyze the data.
Finally, it's very common for non-psychologists (e.g., statisticians) to contribute to the design, analysis and interpretation of psychological research.
Knowing what you are talking about would definitely skeu the discussion …

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise…

What’s a tortoise?

Reactions: OTF
Plenty of hoity-toity over-educated folks think they're smarter than they are or that the person they,re talking to is stupid and lacks humility. If you're a dumb grunt like me, just be careful who you get advice from and respect your elders. Not you, just anyone.
This quote always bugged me. I've read a lot of Twain and this just feels too clunky to have come from him. So let's look it up...

Yep. It first appeared 5 years after his death. It's always attributed to Twain, but he certainly never wrote it. There's no evidence he said it and it would be strange if he did since his father died when Twain was only 11.
You beat me to it. My old man gave me a Twain collection when I was 12 and I devoured it. I still have it and will give it to my son. The old boy told me himself that quote was misattributed. It's funny bit it's not Sam.

However I am of the mind that DK is generally true. The best leaders tend to shine in their prime at the nexus of talent and sharpness when they've learned enough to know what they're doing but haven't yet started to dull with age. I guess that's not exactly an example of it but it could be.

I'm also a prime example of it, but luckily, I'm not a leader. The key problem with it in my point of view is just the fact that it apparently relies on measuring one's humility.

What’s a tortoise?
Leon (the movie version) and I have the same birthday.

I recently re-read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and was reminded how amazing PK Dick was at creating ideas. And how conventional and sloppy he was as an actual writer.

I recently re-read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and was reminded how amazing PK Dick was at creating ideas. And how conventional and sloppy he was as an actual writer.

A lot of science fiction writers are like that, but I'm there for the concepts, so I will over look other flaws.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom