question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akanak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
sorry if this has been asked before but I did a search and didn't find anything.
I was curious why it seems that none of the boats going out to the channel islands or catalina have dive masters leading the dives the way they do if you go diving in hawaii, the caribbean, belize etc.
Diving here seems to cost the same but without a guide.
This is in no way a slight on any of the dive companies here- the boats I've been on and the crews have all been great. Im just curious as to why it seems to be different here compared to so many other places.

I don't know about California but in the PNW it would be tough to lead a group of divers due to the viz.

You're not going to find boats with dive guides on the west or east coast of the US. If you need a guide, you can hire one in advance on some boats.

In Florida, some (most?) have guides like the Caribbean

...In Florida, some (most?) have guides like the Caribbean

The 3 boats I use in Boynton Beach do not put a guide in the water. The boat I use in West Palm and the boat I use in Jupiter, do put a guide in the water, though ascent is often remote from the guide on your SMB

Many socal dive shops that charter a portion of, or the entire boat, will offer guided dives. If you book a trip through the shop it often includes guide services. Ocean Safari is an example:Ocean Safari Scuba | Los Angeles Scuba Diving - Weekly Dive Trips to the Channel Islands
Pacific Wilderness, and Hollywood Divers are two more. Contact the dive shop directly to confirm the services you're interested in.

USCG Regulations require that there be a Dive Master on the larger boats, but the role of the DM is to manage the dive operation from the dive deck, and be on the ready for a safety issue, so they do not lead dives.

Except for charter groups that may offer guided dives as explained earlier, the function of California dive boats is to serve as a water taxi to get you to and from the dive site. If a person is not 100% comfortable diving without a DM or guide then become so before booking a trip on one of our fantastic California charter boats. California diving ain't difficult, it's just more challenging than a day boat in Cayman. My 2psi. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom