Question to experienced divers regarding ScubaPro octo..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lsorenson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys, Well, its taken some time but I have finally moved to the ScubaPro world with the MK25-700. I dive a plate, bungee octo, with a 6' second.

I never dive with the yellow octo in a since its around my neck and if by some chance, cause confusion for a moment. Real world dictates the second staged would be ripped from my mouth in a actual OOA situation. Never the less, I got the 700 because, well, lets just say, just because and leave it at that...

I have no plans to run a 700 as an octo but I am leaning towards the S600. Currently traveling so I stopped in a local shop to have a look and see... I was talking with a shop owner and they said the S560 would make a nice octo.

Would you please share your experience with your setup and how many dives you have with it... I could ask, how long but that really wouldn't mean much now, would it? :)

Thanks, lee

I have an MK25/A700 combo that I used to dive with an R380 second as an 'Octopus'. Assuming you are diving a single tank configuration so are not regulator swopping (side mount or independent doubles) I always took the view that an Octopus needed to be simple and reliable, easy to clean, and going to work if I needed to air share. I say 'used' because my MK25/A700 is now dedicated to my sidemount setup and no longer has an 'Octopus' attached.

The A600 is a high performing regulator and is a perfect match with a MK25 first stage, either as a primary or backup regulator, but it is also overkill for an Octopus that 'hopefully' is not going to be used.

If your A700 fails it is likely to fail in free flow mode so you are unlikely to suffer a failure that means you will be switching to your 'Octopus'. So you will never get the benefit of a high end 'Octopus' on your own rig. If your A700 free flows and you can't stop it you are going to be going onto someone else 'Octopus', whatever they have fitted. The only time your 'Octopus' will be used is if your buddy goes OOA or suffers a failure and goes on to yours, and then you require it to work for an air shared ascent. The dive is over and it needs to save his life, deliver enough air to keep him alive, it does not need to provide a comfortable long breathing experience.

So long as it is rated and suited for the depths and types of diving (cold water etc.) that you are doing something less expensive and 'high' end than the A600 would also be perfectly fine. But it is your money, if you want an A600 as an 'Octopus', and can afford it, I won't stop you and it will be fine. - Phil

In my opinion after over 30 years diving, I believe that both regulators need to be high performance because in an out of air situation, anxiety levels will be higher therefore the demands on the regulator will be higher. If the regs do not perform well, this will lead to more anxiety and cause problems. Buying a regulator can be a something one can do only so often; mine is 16 years old and I have no plan on changing them (SP MK20 S600 and D400). So spend the money and get a nice set. Then on 2 tank dives, breath out of one on dive 1 and the other in dive 2. Makes sense??

Your SP MK25 A700 is an outstanding set. You did very well. Just spend the extra money and get another nice SP 2nd stage. I have the S550 and it works great. Spend the extra $ and enjoy it.

Hope this helps.

In my opinion after over 30 years diving, I believe that both regulators need to be high performance because in an out of air situation, anxiety levels will be higher therefore the demands on the regulator will be higher. If the regs do not perform well, this will lead to more anxiety and cause problems. Buying a regulator can be a something one can do only so often; mine is 16 years old and I have no plan on changing them (SP MK20 S600 and D400). So spend the money and get a nice set. Then on 2 tank dives, breath out of one on dive 1 and the other in dive 2. Makes sense??

Your SP MK25 A700 is an outstanding set. You did very well. Just spend the extra money and get another nice SP 2nd stage. I have the S550 and it works great. Spend the extra $ and enjoy it.

Hope this helps.
Agree totally that your Alternate should be as good, or better, than your primary. I've never understood why people look to 'save' money on safety equipment.

I used to run an Mk25 with an S600 primary and an r295 as an octo. I replaced the 295 with an air2 and have one less hose. I've practiced with the air2 a bunch of times, it's not all that bad really. Personally I wouldn't spend $400 on a secondary second stage but other than cost there are no drawbacks.

I have a M25/A700. I bought the R095 for the octo. I have breathed both of them at 90' and didn't notice a lot of difference at that depth. I bought the A700 because it was all metal and gives me just enough moisture to keep from getting a really dry mouth and throat. I don't intend to use the R095 as my main second stage so it works just fine as an octo with no need to spend the extra money for another A700. For the type of diving I do it works perfect. I have about 50 dives with it and so far and haven't needed to share. I wouldn't have a problem using either secondary for surfacing. Don't know if my dive count is valid for experienced but this is what I have to offer.

Last edited:
He better say the s600 would be a nice octo. Personally i think it is too much octo. That econdary is a nice breather. Generally you use a highly detuned secondary as an octo. it breaths hard to prevent runaway. That said all my regs are s600's, even the octo's. So im a fine example i guess. i use the 6 ft hose on the primary, the long hose is useless on the secondary when it is tied to your neck. giving the ooa guy the long hose lets him get some distance from you.

Hey guys, Well, its taken some time but I have finally moved to the ScubaPro world with the MK25-700. I dive a plate, bungee octo, with a 6' second.

I never dive with the yellow octo in a since its around my neck and if by some chance, cause confusion for a moment. Real world dictates the second staged would be ripped from my mouth in a actual OOA situation. Never the less, I got the 700 because, well, lets just say, just because and leave it at that...

I have no plans to run a 700 as an octo but I am leaning towards the S600. Currently traveling so I stopped in a local shop to have a look and see... I was talking with a shop owner and they said the S560 would make a nice octo.

Would you please share your experience with your setup and how many dives you have with it... I could ask, how long but that really wouldn't mean much now, would it? :)

Thanks, lee

Thanks guys for taking the time to post your thoughts and providing some insight... Just got back and had a few minutes to reply! I caught Phil_C while still on the road but the rest of you caught me by surprise!!! Current setup "was" an SR1 modified to the SR2 with the SRB1000 second and Octo. Have 99% of my dives on this setup with just a few problems but the biggest problem is repair when traveling overseas which we do, more than most but fewer than many. Like most, I want my octo to be dependable and at the ready like my pony which I dive a Brute, rock solid and dependable!

I will go and check out the octo's suggested, 600, 560, 550. Again, thanks for taking the time!!! lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom