Question regarding neutral buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I said earlier, flooding your wetsuit is a good idea before descending. I took TMHeimer's post as agreeing with that. Effectively emptying your BC is certainly a skill one should develop.

With another 5 lb in the tank at the beginning of the dive plus the 2-3 lb from exhaling... I'll simply state that if I cannot get down without difficulty with all of that going for me, then I do not have enough weight to avoid what I consider to be an excessive final ascent rate at reserve pressure (regardless of wetsuit, BTW). As always, YMMV.
I’m too much of a wimp when it comes to temperature to flood my wetsuit first.

I’m too much of a wimp when it comes to temperature to flood my wetsuit first.
Same, especially in Feb. in NS.... What would you do, pour water down it somehow? With a farmer john?

Same, especially in Feb. in NS.... What would you do, pour water down it somehow? With a farmer john?
Even in SoCal, I'm too much of a wimp to want to pull open my suit in sub-70 degree water. But on the coldest days, I have been known to bring a hot water bottle to pour inside before I get in. That's to avoid the icy trickle, though; I'm not going to all that trouble to shave off a pound of lead.

Perhaps I am happier being a bit light at the end of the dive (although I have never had it cause an overly fast ascent) in return for having less air in my bcd and hence less buoyancy fluctuation at depth.

Even in SoCal, I'm too much of a wimp to want to pull open my suit in sub-70 degree water. But on the coldest days, I have been known to bring a hot water bottle to pour inside before I get in. That's to avoid the icy trickle, though; I'm not going to all that trouble to shave off a pound of lead.
In Maui last month, I only did that to "flush"

Back
Top Bottom