Question re: sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MookieMoose

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a relatively new diver planning on moving towards technical training and diving when I have the requisite experience (and money). Right now I'm trying to figure out what is the best way for me to cary multiple tanks - manifolded on my back or sidemount - I see good and bad in both. I have never been diving with, nor do I know anyone who uses sidemount, so I don't fully understand it. I know with manifolded doubles you can breathe both tanks from a single regulator. Obviously this is not the case with sidemount. Does this ever bocome a problem? Wouldn't you end up messing up your ballance by breathing only one tnak? I suppose this means you need to switch tanks periodically - how often do you do this? What sort of problems does this create? Sorry if I look rather ignorant, but I'd rather display my ignorance and get educated than look educated and hold on to ignorance. Thanks very much.

Cam

Yes, you do switch to maintain an adequate volume of gas in each cylinder. For example I'll use the common 1/3 rule. Use 1/3 in one cylinder and 1/3 in the other cylinder. This leaves 2/3 in each cylinder for exit from the water. If the volume in one cylinder was lost entirely, maybe due to a ruptured burst disk, the diver would have the 2/3 in one cylinder remaining to exit. 2/3's was used going on the dive (1/3 +1/3 from each cylinder) so 2/3's would be available to exit. The buddy diver would also have this so a cylinder could be passed to the diver that lost the gas. Or a person could carry a "buddy bottle"

With doubles or sidemount gas volume must be planned and monitored. There are some advantages to sidemount such as easy access to the valves. Easier to carry and handle. Cylinders can be rented on trips. Less drag in the water. Less expensive to own and maintain. Very comfortable in the water with increased flexibility.

What kind of tech diving do you plan on doing? It's mostly cave divers that use sidemounting, because it can be a little harder to maneuver sidemounted tanks onto and off of a boat.

You have to keep the pressure's pretty close in a sidemount configuration, because as you breath air from one side, you will start leaning toward the full side.

For ocean diving manifolded doubles are usually best. I noticed you mentioned the fact that you could breath manifolded doubles with one reg. I'm sure you know this, but you should always use two regs on doubles.

MookieMoose:
Hi all, I am a relatively new diver planning on moving towards technical training and diving when I have the requisite experience (and money). Right now I'm trying to figure out what is the best way for me to cary multiple tanks - manifolded on my back or sidemount - I see good and bad in both. I have never been diving with, nor do I know anyone who uses sidemount, so I don't fully understand it. I know with manifolded doubles you can breathe both tanks from a single regulator. Obviously this is not the case with sidemount. Does this ever bocome a problem? Wouldn't you end up messing up your ballance by breathing only one tnak? I suppose this means you need to switch tanks periodically - how often do you do this? What sort of problems does this create? Sorry if I look rather ignorant, but I'd rather display my ignorance and get educated than look educated and hold on to ignorance. Thanks very much.

Cam

Cam

I would suggest getting some experience with doubles or just more advanced diving first, then jump into sidemount later.

Curt, what would the reason be for learning to dive in manifolded doubles before sidemount doubles? Curious as I might be looking at doubles inside of the next two years or so. Thanks.

Curt Bowen:
Cam

I would suggest getting some experience with doubles or just more advanced diving first, then jump into sidemount later.

Curt,

I am surprised with your answer. Good advise though.
By the way, I love the sidemount harness I got from you :wink:

MookieMoose,

There are many benefits to starting your technical dive career off in a sidemount setup. A few benefits that come to mind are, totally redundant system, configuration is available world wide, more flexible configuration that works well on all types of dives.

The draw back I notice is gas managment. But it can be managed safely, that's what training is for.

In some ways I wish I would have started off in sidemount. But then saying this I have the opportunity to dive sidemount almost every day and I still choose backmount doubles for 75% of my dives.

Dennis

Curt Bowen:
Cam

I agree I need more experience before I jump into this - i'm no fool and have no desire to rush my training and become one of those that is 'more certified than qualified'. I would like to know why you would suggest starting with backmount doubles before moving to sidemount? I have noticed that in other forums you seem to espouse the idea of people moving towards whatever they intend to dive later (be it backmount doubles, sidemount, SCR, CCR) as early as possible in their training?

Thanks very much.

Cam

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom