Question re: Mares Proton V16 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question re: Mares Proton V16 Regulator
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just came back from Florida where I used my new Mares Proton V16 Regulator for the first time.

I was very happy with the way it performed and it was extremely easy to breathe at depth. One question though: Sometimes on inhalation I was aware of a little "horn-like" sound. Hard to explain but it was intermittent and sounded like one of the internal components might be flapping as I was inhaling at times.

Someone told me that some regs have this characteristic but I've never come across it before.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sy

Hi SY,
I have that reg. It's new and will sometimes hum a little on inspiration, but only when it is dry (when testing airflow before a dive). It's never happened once wet or in the water. This has also happened on a few rental/borrowed regs in my short diving experience (both Mares and other brands).

Also, I believe this has to do with the proton 2nd stage since my proton XL 2nd and proton octo both do it occasionaly. They both work great nevertheless! I don't believe it to be a problem, unless someone here with more experience says otherwise...:confused: :confused: :D :D :D

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

My Mares Proton V16 Regulator makes that sound intermittently underwater too. I think I'll send it in to be checked.

B.t.w., will that reg work with Nitrox?

Sy

CODMAN:
Hi SY,
I have that reg. It's new and will sometimes hum a little on inspiration, but only when it is dry (when testing airflow before a dive). It's never happened once wet or in the water. This has also happened on a few rental/borrowed regs in my short diving experience (both Mares and other brands).

Also, I believe this has to do with the proton 2nd stage since my proton XL 2nd and proton octo both do it occasionaly. They both work great nevertheless! I don't believe it to be a problem, unless someone here with more experience says otherwise...:confused: :confused: :D :D :D

Ahoy Sy!!!! (sorry, that's my best Pirate immitation:rofl3: ) why don't you PM Phil or Zak from Mares about that before you send it in? You don't want to loose your reg for no reason and pay shiping...:no

Yup, the V16 Proton is Nitrox compatible up to 40% out of the box. If you want more than that, then you need cleaning, special kits installed, etc... But for standard Nitrox up to 40%, you are good to go... This was confirmed to me by Mares themselves... They really are great for answering our questions about their gear!!! Hats off to Phil and Zak once again!:coffee:

Later!

Well "shiver me timbers" Codman! (that's what I remember some TV Pirate from childhood saying).

Thanks for the feedback about the Nitrox. I thought I had read that somewhere but also thought I might have to go out and buy a new reg.

I had posted to the Mares forum several days ago but received no reply. I sent to reg and octopus to LeisurePro to be checked.

B.t.w., maybe this ScubaBoard should be renamed "WaterLog"?

Sy

CODMAN:
Ahoy Sy!!!! (sorry, that's my best Pirate immitation:rofl3: ) why don't you PM Phil or Zak from Mares about that before you send it in? You don't want to loose your reg for no reason and pay shiping...:no

Yup, the V16 Proton is Nitrox compatible up to 40% out of the box. If you want more than that, then you need cleaning, special kits installed, etc... But for standard Nitrox up to 40%, you are good to go... This was confirmed to me by Mares themselves... They really are great for answering our questions about their gear!!! Hats off to Phil and Zak once again!:coffee:

Later!

Systek,

I didn't see your other post from several days ago. I see this thread began on the 18th and today is the 20th. We are trying to keep up, but we have to work also. I've been travelling since Sun and will continue until Fri. Anyhow all regulators from all manufacturers seem to have a "harmonic" issue at one point or another. Not all of them do it and often this phenomena simply goes away, most times having a service takes care of it. This is not a performance or safety issue. While annoying if it's really loud, your reg is safe to dive. In many cases simply turning the poppet spring in the second stage upside down will eliminate this harmonic. (note we recommend a tech do this). Yes all our regs are good not to exceed 40% nitrox out of the box.

Codman,

Thanks for the kind words. Phil and I are working dilligently at trying to be a good source of help and information from our company to you all on the board.

sincerely,

Zak

Hi Zak,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I sent the Mares Proton V16 Regulator and the octopus back to LeisurePro for them to look at.

Otherwise I was VERY happy with the performance of the regulator.

Sy

Zak OHara:
Systek,

I didn't see your other post from several days ago. I see this thread began on the 18th and today is the 20th. We are trying to keep up, but we have to work also. I've been travelling since Sun and will continue until Fri. Anyhow all regulators from all manufacturers seem to have a "harmonic" issue at one point or another. Not all of them do it and often this phenomena simply goes away, most times having a service takes care of it. This is not a performance or safety issue. While annoying if it's really loud, your reg is safe to dive. In many cases simply turning the poppet spring in the second stage upside down will eliminate this harmonic. (note we recommend a tech do this). Yes all our regs are good not to exceed 40% nitrox out of the box.

Codman,

Thanks for the kind words. Phil and I are working dilligently at trying to be a good source of help and information from our company to you all on the board.

sincerely,

Zak

I did my Nitrox course last weekend in 10 degree (celcius) water at 22 metres and my proton worked like a charm as always:D I just wish I functioned in cold water as well as my proton.

My reg "squeaked" on very odd accassion when I first purchased it early 2004 but hasn't made a sound ever since.

Codman, I second your motion, thumbs up to Zak and Phil for their excellent service and quick responses.

Back
Top Bottom