Question re: Dan insurance and camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

farsidefan1

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok I have heard it is not a matter of "if" but "when" your camera floods. I just got a new canon g12 with a recsea housing and I hate the thought of a flood but if it is inevitable I understand Dan offers some sort of insurance policy. Has anyone had any experience with it? I only go on about 3 trips a yr but I'm willing to pay all yr. around if it is at all reasonable but does it cover replacement costs or is it on a highly depreciated schedule? I am not currently a Dan member - I carry dive assure for my medical and trip because I prefer it to be primary, not secondary insurance but again. I'll happily join for camera coverage.

I have DAN insurance and have used it once. I think the deductable is $250 or 10% of what you are claiming whichever is larger. They (at least in my case) were very fast to send a check after a flood.
Bill

The flood insurance is nice, but theft and accidental breakage likely happen a lot as well. From the looks of my Recsea housing, if it o-ring leaked, just the camera would be compromised. Rinse and dry the housing, use an o-ring properly, and what's the difference between deductible and just a replacement camera? :idk:

halemanō;6036769:
The flood insurance is nice, but theft and accidental breakage likely happen a lot as well. From the looks of my Recsea housing, if it o-ring leaked, just the camera would be compromised. Rinse and dry the housing, use an o-ring properly, and what's the difference between deductible and just a replacement camera? :idk:
I agree.... For a p & s it's just not worth it.

Also consider that it covers strobes, wet lenses, etc. IMO, it's a good thing to have unless you're only diving with a point & shoot in a housing - nothing more.

If you have State Farm Insurance, check with your agent.

All my gear, including 2 cameras, housings, strobes, ect. are fully covered for full replacement.

Just thought I would add that bit.

Country Companies did mine much better and cheaper than DAN.

Thanks for these nuggets of information. They are very useful and I appreciate them. I have the canon g12 so the deductible would be half the cost of the camera ($499.) so I will look into my USAA policy and also look for a g11 which I believe would fit into my recsea housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom