Question on wetsuit thickness for Fiji in August and Raja Ampat in late December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joneill

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any thoughts/suggestions on appropriate wetsuit thickness for multi day (3-4 dives a day for 1-2 weeks) diving in Fiji in early August and RA in late December - full suit 3mm or full suit 5mm? Or full 3mm with a 3mm vest as a backup in case I get chilled? Thanks in advance!

RA I take a 1/2 shorty and a 2/3 full for night dives. No idea for Fiji.

Any thoughts/suggestions on appropriate wetsuit thickness for multi day (3-4 dives a day for 1-2 weeks) diving in Fiji in early August and RA in late December - full suit 3mm or full suit 5mm? Or full 3mm with a 3mm vest as a backup in case I get chilled? Thanks in advance!
Just got back the 19 July. I. am a small female. I have a lavacore which I think is about a 1 to 1.5. I also have a vest. Started with both and dropped the vest.It was fine for me on the boat the Naiai for 10 days with just the one. it was about 80 to 82 degrees. my husband dove as usual in just a lycra skin. I think it was mostly 3 mil by the others. I think 5 will be too hot Depending on your comfort level.

We were in Raja a few years ago at Xmas and I used my 3 mil and my skins depending on temp.

We are going to do Ambon to Saumlakj in October.I Will try to post when we get back.

Just got back the 19 July. I. am a small female. I have a lavacore which I think is about a 1 to 1.5. I also have a vest. Started with both and dropped the vest.It was fine for me on the boat the Naiai for 10 days with just the one. it was about 80 to 82 degrees. my husband dove as usual in just a lycra skin. I think it was mostly 3 mil by the others. I think 5 will be too hot Depending on your comfort level.

We were in Raja a few years ago at Xmas and I used my 3 mil and my skins depending on temp.

We are going to do Ambon to Saumlakj in October.I Will try to post when we get back.
Great - thanks for all of the replies, especially the recent experience. I’ll go with the full 3mm suit.

I‘ve been to RA three times over Christmas/New Year‘s. I tend to get cold easily but am absolutely comfy in my Fourth Element Thermocline full suit, no hood, even for extended dives and at depths below 30m. 3mm is warmer and should also be fine, I wouldn‘t go thicker than that. No opinions on Fiji.

Best, C.

Tolerance to water temps varies dramatically among divers. It might be more useful to find out what the water temps are. If its 85 degrees, you know what you need to wear to be comfortable. In 80 degree water, I'm good with a 3 mill, my usual dive buddy wears a 5 mill, and other folks will dive in a skin.

Tolerance to water temps varies dramatically among divers. It might be more useful to find out what the water temps are. If its 85 degrees, you know what you need to wear to be comfortable. In 80 degree water, I'm good with a 3 mill, my usual dive buddy wears a 5 mill, and other folks will dive in a skin.
Thanks - Taveuni looks be 27.1C (~81F) and expected to drop to 26.3C (~79F) over the next 10 days.

I think the new, well fitting 3 mil full suit (Bare Reactive) should be good for me as I was getting a bit chilled in an older, well worn 3 mil shorty (a bit big too as I’ve lost a lot of weight in the last 6 months) on the last day of diving in Aruba a few weeks ago. Water temps there were 80-81F.

Tolerance to water temps varies dramatically among divers. It might be more useful to find out what the water temps are.
^^^ This ^^^

I wear a 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch in places others wear nothing but their swimsuit.

Back
Top Bottom