Question on using F8 and 1/500 on Canon S100 and Ikelite Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I am just starting to use an external strobe with my canon s100, and have read that a good place to start will be to use Manual mode setting F8 and 1/500, and adjusting the strobe power to properly light the scene. In S100's manual mode, the front ring controls aperature and rear dial controls shutter. However, the ikelite housing does not allow access to the rear dial.

I will be shooting mostly macro with a +6 lens, so I would be quite content fixing the aperature to F8, as long as I can control the shutter. Are there any workarounds to achieve this?

Simon

---------- Post added September 28th, 2014 at 02:11 PM ----------

Seems like the way to achieve this is to switch to Tv, then switch back to M, as suggested in another thread.

However a secondary problem arises with my macro lens. I have read somewhere that the best way to achieve focus with the macro lens is to zoom in all the way, set manual focus to infinity, and then move the camera into focus range manually. The problem with this method is that when I switch to Tv mode, my manual infinity focus is lost...Is this the correct way to focus with a macro lens?

THanks,

Simon

One work around is to set your aperture to whatever you want, say 7 or so, and leave it there. You can then use your front ring to control shutter speed. For macro, I will typically leave it at 1/500 to get a nice black background. Typically I only need to change shutter speed if shooting wide-angle.

I never bothered with manual focus with that camera, the auto focus worked perfect. It should work well for you, as long as you have a focus light if ambient light is low...

Also, your autofocus will work better if you open up your aperture a bit (sorry I added this comment to another related post by accident)!

anks Rob for the advice. It will be my first dives at lembeh this week with strobe and macro lens, I'm a bit overwhelmed!

One other qn - if it is quite easy to use manual power on the strobe, what are the benefits of ttl?

I'm a bit confused how autofocus works with the macro lens. With the lens attached, for each zoom level, is there a specific distance I need to be so that the macro lens is in focus? So first I would need to be at this correct distance, and then I would use the autofocus of the camera? But without the camera first being in focus, how do I tell I'm at the correct focal distance of the lens?

I'm a bit confused, sorry for the dumb qn!

In my opinion, TTL is a vestige of the old days of film when you did not know if your exposure was good until after you developed your film. Nowadays with digital you don't need it! It is much simpler to just shoot full manual and check your exposure on your LCD and adjust as necessary.

As for your macro lens, think of it as reading glasses for your camera. It will make it easier for your camera to focus very close, and give you some magnification. So generally, as long as you are close to your subject, your auto focus should work with the macro lens.

If you are using strobes, the strobes won't shoot over 1/250th as they will not sync up. How can one shoot at that speed?

If you are using strobes, the strobes won't shoot over 1/250th as they will not sync up. How can one shoot at that speed?

That's incorrect. The Canon S series have an electronic shutter and sync up to 1/2000th of a second no problem

If all this is correct, I'm glad I got a FIX housing for my S95 long ago.....:)...........ie I shoot 1/500th & F8 all the time with my twin 110a S&S strobes---for macro.......Go to ~ 1/160th & F 5.6(mostly) for WA & CFWA......Look @ these shot in the last few days from Brac---all are raw, out of the camera---can't wait to start editing, lol...https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/sets/72157648461560258/

Here's one of them below(WA of course)................
15393459398_7c9e5e717c.jpg
[/URL]image by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

Simon - be sure to practice on land first, with a coin or penny. Zoom in, get a couple inches away from the subject, and slowly move the camera forward or back until it looks in focus. then take the shot, hope this helps!

Scott Gietler

Hi,

However a secondary problem arises with my macro lens. I have read somewhere that the best way to achieve focus with the macro lens is to zoom in all the way, set manual focus to infinity, and then move the camera into focus range manually. The problem with this method is that when I switch to Tv mode, my manual infinity focus is lost...Is this the correct way to focus with a macro lens?

THanks,

Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom