Question on Raja Ampat area marine life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarponchik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've checked some LOB routes, and some of them go north from Sorong, and some go south. Can anyone compare the quality of reefs or comment if there's any difference in what you see underwater? Wasai/Kri area vs Misool?

There are followers of this site that have dove Raja many, many times, so my one experience should be taken with a grain of salt. We went in late November-early December on a LOB that did all: South, middle and North. South has the Misool sites, including a great manta site. Viz was less than middle or north, but still fine. I understand it may be reversed in Feb-March, but not sure. Reefs seemed a bit more amazing North, but all amazing compared to Caribbean. My take: Find an 11-12 day itinerary that covers all or go multiple times to be able to see all. I wouldn't want to have missed the Misool sites and I equally wouldn't want to have missed the Wasai/Kri sites.

Rob

I’ve been to Raja Ampat 7x. The 8th time will be next week and the 9th time will be this, Raja Ampat with Blue Manta, 10-20 Feb, 2022, with 16% off group rate. The coral reef of Raja Ampat are the best one I have seen in 15 years of diving in Indonesia, Caribbean, Red Sea, Maldives, Palau, and GBR. I’ll be in French Polynesia in May. I’ll post a trip report about it afterwards.

The south Raja Ampat is known for beautiful soft coral around Misool. The west part is known for thick beautiful & pristine hard coral around Penemu, like site called Melissa’s Garden. The north around Wayag is more famous on the top side panoramic view. The central area around Dampier Strait is mix of soft & hard corals with tons of schooling fishes. I’m not a photographer so my picture quality is poor, but you would still can imagine the underwater beauty of them, so colorful, not beige like the rest of the world corals I have seen.
213AD086-CF6D-4D80-9FBE-75EEB156B7E3.jpeg
86C3BB02-50E7-4C7B-9A9B-7CD3F25F410D.jpeg
EF70B3B9-D941-4920-B646-E5F48A780A61.jpeg
68E13894-3CA1-46C5-B4A4-501946323395.jpeg
29B5D443-A0B6-41B0-8D81-E26F5572B0E9.jpeg
3FA17BC5-77A5-49AA-BC73-EF11E958C103.jpeg

@Dan So which liveaboard is your favourite? You probably have some stats by now.

Blue Manta
I did the Blue Manta Ambon-Raja Ampat trip. One of my best trips ever, with a great crew. I love the Explorer Ventures fleet.

Was this your trip?

No, the video is the other direction, RA to Ambon. Our trip was in December 2018.

Thanks! So mostly Misool area, 8 days.

Depends on the trip schedule. I like the 11 days that covers the north, south & central like the one I plan to repeat on 10-20 Feb 2022, posted above.

Check out the fantastic video made by PJ, the in-house videographer that I posted above to see what Raja Ampat is all about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom