Question on Hoseless Air Integrated Computers....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrMoray

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to upgrade to a hoseless computer. I know Uwatec, Oceanic, Aeris & Genesis have models. Are there any others? I've heard the various stories of loss connections (most seem to be very temporary) as well as a few stories about longer "blackouts" with the Oceanic. I've heard very little about the Aeris & Genesis models. Can anybody shed some more light on this for me?
Thanks!

The Oceanic, Aeris, Genesis, Sherwood and Dacor hoseless air integrated models are made by the same company and have the same internals. (US Divers also carried their version but don't any longer). That leaves only two units to choose from. I've used both and like both. The blackout will happen, but it is only a transmission blackout, meaning the only thing you may not see for a few seconds is tank pressure and air time remaining. Deco functions and everything else the computer is supposed to do is intact. The blackout happens supposedly when you use high powered camera strobes, dpv's or when your arm is out of it's 4-6ft range. It re-aquires the signal quickly and doesn't miss out on any information.

The Uwatec model is newer and has the capability to be used as a semi closed rebreather computer as well. The Oceanic Data Trans Plus is the easier to read with it's color coded and easy to understand graphs and symbols. The Oceanic has user repaceable batteries where the Uwatec has a battery replacement program. You won't go wrong either model.

The high end models are:
Uwatec Aladin Air Z o2
and the
Oceanic Data Trans Plus
both are programmable air integrated hoseless nitrox computers

For added peace of mind, pick up a $50 analog pressure gauge, attach it to the other hp port on your first stage, tether it to a good spot on your right hand side and you've got a modern, bulletproof system that has redundancy built into it. It's a winner!

I have to admit....although I understand and atleast somewhat agree with the need for the redundant pressure gauge.....doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of owning a HOSELESS computer?

No it really doesn't defeat it in my eyes. The fact that you are eliminating a hose alltogether is a selling point, but certainly not the only one. The thing that makes hoseless air integrated computers sweet and efficient to use is that the unit gives you an incredible amount of information while attached to your wrist. This location promotes a diver to check the unit more often because it is how we wear our watches. This is incredibly convenient! It's so much easier to check vital info, than to have to physically pick up your computer module every time. This is especially convenient during safety stops.

Hey Houdini!

Please explain this........

Originally posted by Mario S Caner
or when your arm is out of it's 4-6ft range.

I tried this and all I got was a dislocated shoulder and a bad case of the cramps.

ID

Maybe I missed something, or do you have a QD at your armpit?

I was just wondering the same thing! But I HAVE heard that Mario's knuckles drag the ground so .....:D

Hey peeps, LOL. I was kinda hoping you guys whom have been around for a while would remember my post concerning the data transfer distance of the Oceanic computers... See if this rings any bells: I talked about the distance being more than adequate unless something was swimming off with your arm, in which case getting bent is the least of your concerns.... Thanks though for the laughs. Dee you killed me LOL :D

Back
Top Bottom