Question on cleaning up a find...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtrf2b

Registered
Reaction score
Found a fishing reel diving yesterday and it seems like it would work fine if I clean it up a bit. There is a lot of barnacles and such all over it and I don't want to risk messing anything up by scraping it all off. Anyhow, I was wondering if there was anything you could do to clean it up where it would be easier on the stuff. Basically, is there anything that you can soak it in to make the barnacles and assorted other things fall off.

any help would be appreciated, even if it's just advice to throw it away.

thanks a lot and have a good one

We have zebra mussels here in Michigan. What I use is a 5 gallon pail put one gallon of pool chlorine and 3 gallons of water put artifact in and put the lid on and come back 2 days later and all of the zebra mussels have fallen off. Then soak in 5 gallons of water for a day to rinse off. Reels are hard to clean I have found plenty and they end up with sand in them, and you will have to take it all the way down regreese and put back together.
Ed

Thanks for the help! It's just one of the first "cool" things I've found underwater, plus my other( slightly less expensive) hobby is fishing so I figured why not try and make it work. Thanks Again.

I soaked it, scrubbed it, tore it down and greased it up. It cleaned up pretty good and it surprisingly works great.

ReelPhoto.jpg

Not exactly the "shiny metal" that I'd love to pull from the bottom but it'll do for now.
Thanks again!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom