Question on Cleaning Housing Grooves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know most recommend to use a "lint-free cloth", but couldn't you also use a can of compressed air (similar to what people use on electronics)?

Thoughts?

AD

but couldn't you also use a can of compressed air
Questions you'd have to ask is will it be strong enough to blow lint, hair, sand that's stuck to silicon grease and is there a danger of blowing it from one disaster area to another?

I personally use foam makup tips available at supermarkets.

It's a bit of a worry when Club Camedia shows cleaning of grooves with cotton tips here (step 9).

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking (about stuff sticking in the grease), but wasn't sure.

I guess I need to figure out what's better in the next 3 days - the foam applicator tips or an old cut up t-shirt (strips).

AD

Q-Tip fibers have been the cause of more than one flood.

I'd forget the canned air. Like ReyeR says, it'll just blow the debris somewhere else. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it won't cause you trouble.

I use two things to clean O-ring channels. One is an old cotton flour cloth that's tightly woven and is lint free. I fold a corner into it to fit the channel and run it around. Then I take a piece of swimmers towel....you know those fake suade towels that wick water away so well? They are totally lint free so they get anything that was left behind or I missed on the first pass.

Just one thing to add to Dee's message.

Okay, AR neurotic that I am, I use two methods already mentioned, and one more. I use the foam makeup applicators, the synthetic chamois, and microfiber towels. I have one microfiber that is reserved for lenses, the other two are used for other parts of the housings.

Nothing that could possibly create or degrade into lint is allowed to live in my camera bag.

Where do you get the microfiber towels at?

Also, the chamois, I know what you're talking about, but where to get it?

AD

I've seen the micro fiber cloths in camera stores, camera/electronic departments in chain stores, Eckerd's in the camera/film section. They are kinda like seahorses. Once you see the first one, you'll start seeing them everywhere!

The fake chamois...I got mine at Wal-Mart in the automotive section, that's the cheapest. Academy has them with the swim goggles but they cost twice as much.

The Absorber brand is my favorite brand on the synthetic chamois. They're available in the Auto section of super stores and parts stores. The micro fiber towels are available in the kitchen and households areas, as well as in camera departments. If you're a car nut, Meguiar's has the best microfiber towels I have found, but they're hard to find. The 3M ones are everywhere, and they are my second favorite.

Back
Top Bottom