Question for Swankenstein or anyone with a underwater camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWetRookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just curious, What type of batteries do you use in you underwater camera and how long do they last in our cold waters?

The reason why I asked is that I just got myself a Sealife reefmaster mini and I put new energizer batteries and they were dead within about 20 minutes of diving. The built in flash was used on all 19 pictures. I talked to the shop where I got it and they said that this was not right but could give me any real amount of time that batteries last as he did not use one so I thought I would ask you as you are an avid photographer, and yes I enjoy your web site.

The shop said to try another set which I will tommorrow (duracells) and I will see how it goes if not he said to bring it back and he'll exchange it.

Thanks

I'd say go for the rechargeables. I don't use anything else and I can easily get 2-3 70+ minutes dives leaving the lcd on and using the controls and flash (from my Canon A series cameras) plus review time. I use a variety (not all at once!) of 2100 - 2300s, Sanyos and Sonys so far are my favorites.

The normal batteries you just throw away suck in digital cameras and don't last at all.

TheWetRookie:
Just curious, What type of batteries do you use in you underwater camera and how long do they last in our cold waters?

The reason why I asked is that I just got myself a Sealife reefmaster mini and I put new energizer batteries and they were dead within about 20 minutes of diving. The built in flash was used on all 19 pictures. I talked to the shop where I got it and they said that this was not right but could give me any real amount of time that batteries last as he did not use one so I thought I would ask you as you are an avid photographer, and yes I enjoy your web site.

The shop said to try another set which I will tommorrow (duracells) and I will see how it goes if not he said to bring it back and he'll exchange it.

Thanks
I'd say to go for the rechargeables as well. They have a longer life before they die and need to be recharged. Try to get the 2500mAH (milli amp-hour) ones. They have the longest life that I can find locally (if you're using AA batteries). These rechargables (NIMH) last much longer on a single charge than alcaline (eg: Duracell/Energiser). My camera is a Canon Rebel XT which has it's own Lithium battery pack. It lasts me for at least 2 dives. I've never used it for longer than that without recharging it, but it would probably last for a few more. The flash on your camera really cuts down on the battery life. Not much you can do about that. I have an external strobe with it's own batteries. The cold water really does drop the life of batteries. Again, probably not much you can do about that. I've heard of other people locally having the same problem as you with short battery life on a camera with built-in flash in cold water.

Thanks guys, I am trying both the duracell and some rechargables that I have 2100mAh tommorrow (Sat) and will see how they do. (2 dives).

Who sells the NIMHs? I have not heard of them.

TheWetRookie:
Thanks guys, I am trying both the duracell and some rechargables that I have 2100mAh tommorrow (Sat) and will see how they do. (2 dives).

Look around. I think staples sell Duracell NiMH that are 2650 mAh.
Anything less than 2650 is older stock.
They have been available for about 6 months.

The ones I linked to are 2900 mAh; I just bought a set, have not used them yet.

TheWetRookie:

Most rechargeables are NIMH (Nickel-Metal-Hydride). You have to look closely at the packaging label. It should say it there somewhere. The other rechargeables starting to get popular now are Lithium. I don't know much about their capacities, but I think they are even more than NIMH and in a smaller size. That's why they're used for camcorder/cell phone/camera battery packs. Try your 2100mAh batteries. As long as they are new enough to hold a reasonably full charge, they should have a much higher capacity than Alkalines.

I used to use Energizer 2500 Nimh batteries but for some reason after the second or third charge when I put 4 batteries in my A620 the camera doesnt seem to like them. it acts like the batteries are dead after a few minutes. I dont have the problem with reg AA's and the rechargables work fine in my wireless mouse and other electronics, just the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom