Question for Petrel owners - how are you using your computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nasser

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering how you use your Petrel for deco stop dives?

Are you:

1. Cutting tables with deco software then setting your Petrel in Technical mode and just following Run Times? (backup tables on slate)

2. Cutting tables with deco software then setting your Petrel to Gauge mode? (tables on slate)

3. Using the onboard dive planner and then following the plan in Technical mode or Gauge mode? (plan generated from Petrel on slate)

4. Not pre-planning the dive or cutting tables and just reading the Petrel on the fly?

5. Other?

Rather than set this up as a poll I wanted to get a little more detailed info on how you're conducting your dives with your computer.

Thanks.

I use Multideco to cut tables and dive these. I use my Shearwater for back up in case anything changes materially during the dive. Having said that, it tracks very closely to the tables if I dive the exact plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Baltic (iOS) for planning.
Rely on one Petrel and one Predator in oc mode underwater.
I often cut the dives short or ascend shallower depending on water temp/interest/currents. The ability to not follow an extensive deco plan when not needed is great!

So, is it just a "vocal minority", or is there a shift to the PDC as a suitable technical dive tool?

Curious to see where this thread goes, and hope more chime in.

VPM-B on my SW's to match planning output from V-Planner on iPad. OW dives I use a Predator, BT and run from V-Planner on my slate. When cave diving I use both Predator and Petrel with run from Vplanner in my pocket.

I have also used Petrel in gauge mode as BT with slate (primary) and Predator running VPM-B as backup.

Sometimes I use Baltic to plan if the group is using gradient factors and not VPM.

I use a petrel in tec mode, while I have tables cut by multideco. I use the same algorithm on multi deco that the petrel uses along with the same GF settings. They come fairly close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, is it just a "vocal minority", or is there a shift to the PDC as a suitable technical dive tool?

Given the increase in computational power of PDCs over the last few years, it's hard to for me to see why it's OK to cut tables on a PC at home and transfer them to a slate or wet notes, but bad to run the same deco software on a PDC during the dive. Obviously, preplanning is still required to estimate gas consumption.

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom