Question about Zena Sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cheetohcat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I'm about to place an order through my LDS for the Zena, but I had a question on sizing! Unfortunately, they don't have any Zenas instock for me to try on. :depressed:

So I am a 25" waist and 34" chest so it looks like a small should be fine for both those components. But my question is, where do I measure from for the shoulder component? Should it be measured from the base of the neck to the natural waist? or top of shoulder to waist?

If done from the base of the neck to the waist, I am a 16.5, so I'd assume I'd need the Med. However, from shoulder to waist it's just under 15, which would fall into the small.

Any help from Zena owners or Zeagle is appreciated!

Here's the info from Zeagle:

Vest: Fit to waist size so upper band is secure around waist
Front Panel Size*: Fit to Chest/ Bust Size:
Shoulder: Fit to torso length, size so upper waist band is at natural waist.

Vest: Front Panel Shoulder
XS 24" to 30" XS Custom XS 12" to 15"
SM 24"-30" SM 30"-34" SM 13"-16"
MD 26"-34" MD 34"-37" MD 15"-18"

I'm sure Scott can help you with sizing, sorry I can't. :( However, I want to urge you to have your LDS order you a lumbar pad for your Zena when they do the order. My Zena was very comfortable for 4 years before I got a lumbar pad, and now I feel like it is total luxury. The pad is also neutrally buoyant, so you don't have to worry about being floaty.

I don't have a lumbar pad and mine is very comfortable so I guess it varies.

My Zena is a size medium and I am larger than you, cheetohcat.

I also have the Zena and am very happy with it. Just a tip: you may want to re-measure yourself with a wetsuit if you usually wear one. If you are in between sizes, this may put you over to the next size up. The only complaint on this BC is there isn't an area to add an extra pocket. I bought a pocket from Zeagle that could be added to the side straps in theory. The only problem with that is then the side straps can not be loosened for when you are taking the BC on & off.

Good luck

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I did take measurements in my 7/8 m wetsuit so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem.

Divemaven, I was also planning on ordering the lumbar pad, and was interested in the pocket too. Thanks for pointing out that adjustability limitation Sharkbait, I'll keep that in mind!

My Zena was very comfortable without the lumbar pad, but adding the pad made it even more comfortable for me. It fills in the space in my lower back and makes the tank hang better.

I also have the new Zena add-on pocket and have no problem adjusting the straps. My pocket is placed on the body instead of the adjustment straps, which blocks a D ring, but with the pocket I don't need that D ring, so it's all good.

PS If Scott doesn't chime in quickly, you can always call Zeagle directly and ask them about sizing. They know their BCs better than anyone and should be able to tell you exactly what you need.

The Zena is measured a little differently than traditional Zeagle BCs, due to the design and the shapely bodies of women!!

The best advice I can give you for the shoulder section is, stand straight and have a friend measure from the base of your neck (at about the 7th vertebrae) down to the spot where your belly button would be (if it was on your back...) which should be about your "natural waistline".

Plug that number into the shoulder section!

Thanks,

Scott

PS. Get the lumbar pad! Even if you love the fit of your Zena, you will love it more with the pad!! :wink:

Thanks Scott! That definitely clears it up the measurements for me. It's so great Zeagle's are customizable..I am long waisted so it's been hard to find gear that sits right on me. Definitely planning on getting the lumbar pad too.

Just debating colors! =)

Is the add on pocket that DiveMaven mentioned different from the one that comes standard on the Zena?

I'm just debating colors at this point!

Yes, the add on pocket I mentioned is different than the one that comes standard. The one that comes standard is a small, mesh roll down pocket that holds very little, and what it does hold hangs in the mesh part of the pocket loosely. The new Zena pocket is basically the same as the standard sport pocket, except there's a velcro attachment on the back so you can put it on any of the straps, AND the back of it is stiff, which means it keeps it's shape, which makes it much more useable and comfortable IMO.

I don't use my pocket all the time, and that's one thing I love about it....it's super easy to take on and off based on my needs at the time (takes 5 seconds). For regular boat diving I find I don't really need it, but for night dives or shore dives, it makes my life sooo much easier since I can stash my extra light, dry box, etc. easily and conveniently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom