Question about Valve Types and First Stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cr.padlo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning a trip to Egypt, and have been planning on getting a new first stage so that I have DIN for travelling (I'm planning on getting a 300 bar DIN first stage). However- the liveaboard has this for European travelers, and I wanted to learn more for when I (eventually) make a dive trip back to Europe:

"All Emperor and Tekstreme tanks are fitted with 5/8’s DIN valves. We strongly advise divers with M26 regulators to note that when travelling outside of Europe tanks with M26 valves or adapters to fit M26 regulators to 5/8’s DIN tanks may not be available. These adapters cannot be purchased in countries such as Africa, Asia, etc and we have limited stocks available for rent. Please remember to either bring your own adapter with you or check with us regarding availability at the time of booking."

From the United States, your din fittings are all 5/8. No worries. If you went to somewhere in Europe and had to use m26, you can buy an adapter. I run all din (5/8) and carry a yoke adapter in my save a dive kit when traveling. That will cover you in 99% of all chartered diving around the world.

Great question and very nice answer. Thank you.

My understanding is that M26 is the EU spec for nitrox regulators and valves. So by my reading, if you don't own a EU nitrox regulator, then you have no concerns for this trip.

That’s what I thought-just wanted to double check. I suppose this is a follow up question...how common are Nitrox specific tanks in Europe? And is the adapter for the tank, or the first stage?

The adapter is m26 male to female 5/8 din. Threads into valve. Then you thread your 1st stage into it.

.how common are Nitrox specific tanks in Europe?

That is country specific. Generally quite uncommon. Divers usually avoid M26 valves/regulators unless local authorities strongly enforce using them.

Back
Top Bottom