Question about tray mounting screws on Ikelite case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here is something I have not seen mentioned before. I have an Ikelite case for my trusty C5050, and I just upgraded to a second D125 strobe. Of course, this meant a new double handled tray, which I also obtained. I went to mount the tray, and tried to take off the nuts which held the old single handled tray to the case. The first one came off okay, but the second one stuck and the whole bolt turned in the case mount instead. That's when I realized that the mounting bolt is screwed directly into the polycarbonate housing, with no metal mounting socket. I managed to finally break the nut loose, and got the tray off, but then I had to try and retighten the undernut which was screwed up to the housing over some kind of sealing washer. I carefully tightened both of these undernuts, and then mounted the dual handle tray with the supplied new nuts, and again tightened them just past the point where the tray would not move. But now I am nervous about the whole thing, and wonder if my seals are still trustworthy. Has anyone else run into something like this before and have any advice? I intend to sink the whole thing in the 10 foot pool of a local dive shop when I can arrange it, but still.... Any other ideas? Woody

I did e-mail them yesterday, and am still awaiting response.

Timely thread ...I am about to make the same conversion and shot off a message to Ikelite requestion clarification as to whether that was a factory or user modification (single to dual handle tray).

Still no word from Ikelite... what the heck? Does it take this long, or do you think I should bug them again?:confused:

WOODMAN:
Still no word from Ikelite... what the heck? Does it take this long, or do you think I should bug them again?:confused:

====================================

Still waiting too ...starting to wonder that myself.

Well, they finally e-mailed me, and the upshot was to "slightly more than 'finger tight ' the inner nuts", and to look at the black washer from inside the case and make sure that it was black and even. Then they said to dive without the camera the first time, and to send it back to them for a pressure test if I was really worried. Humph... So, I guess that is that. Nothing more than I figured out for myself, and the final word is test it before using. Ah well, it was worth checking, I guess. Woody

Update- I mounted the handle as described, although I think I used a leetle more than "slightly more than finger tight" when I tightened the under nuts which seal the mounting posts to the case.:D Then the handle tray and the outer nuts, just slightly tighter than allowing the tray to move. Next, I took the whole shebang (sans camera :wink: ) to my dive shop and put a soft weight wrapped in a paper towel inside and then sank it in 10 feet of water for 24 hours. To no one's surprize, it passed the test with flying colors, with not one drop of water penetration:10: So, do you think this is enough, folks? I could test further, but you could make yourself crazy doing this...:11: What do you think? Woody

Back
Top Bottom