Question about tides?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skookumchuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Swankenstein's website has got me checking tide tables searching for a weekend with small exchanges so I can go and check out some of Victoria's awesome diving. I also check local conditions before going out and I've noticed something odd. On some days Victoria see's a single high tide and a single low while on the same day Point Atkinson see's two of each. The weekend of March 10 is a good example. Anyone have an explanation?

I'd guess something to do with fluid mechanics. I've noticed that the current at Race Rocks and the current at Enterprise Channel is usually the opposite of each other even though they are within view of each other. If you want to dive Ten Mile Point, the current table is Race Rocks -15 minutes (the correction for Baynes Channel). You don't have to worry about current in Saanich Inlet. It's usually not a big deal at Ogden Point either (although you can usually feel it). For places like Enterprise Channel and Clover Point, I've started using the "Current Atlas" because there is no current table that works for those areas.

Back
Top Bottom