Question about some oceanographic instruments.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ana

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a brand new in its box bathythermograph, a used Nansen bottle also in its box (missing thermometers) and a non working bathyconductograph no box.

They have been moved from the corner of one garage to a different corner of a different garage for the last several decades. Well enough is enough, I'm moving again and I don't want to use the corner or the new garage for those items, but suddenly I can't find any reference to the going prices for those instruments.

I understand modern CTD's can accurately measure in one splash and a quick download, what took hours, effort, interpretation and knowledge to do with those big heavy instruments..... but sheeeesh is uncalled for to only show information about this guys in what feels like scanned hand-written pages of it, you can almost smell the mildew in those pages.

Does anyone know where could I find a starting point for pricing this beauties?

I remember well, standing on the "hero platform" and putting them on the wire, using wire angle and wire out to determine depth and using the culbertson slide rule to figure out the depths of the actual tripping of the bottles. Filling out those logs is over rated.
I always wanted to blast and polish one to make a lamp. I used the BT when I went to school but they were replaced by the XBT by the time I got in the field. Reading the gold coated slides was a PITA.

Make lamps out of them, it's hard to beat polished brass with a mahogany base. No idea of what they are worth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom