Question about small boats on Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tribaltim

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a small 14' Achilles boat with a 25hp engine here on Okinawa. Do I need some sort of license or do I need to get the boat registered or something. Any kind of legal things I need to take care of for that kind of boat?

Tim

tribaltim:
I'm about to buy a small 14' Achilles boat with a 25hp engine here on Okinawa. Do I need some sort of license or do I need to get the boat registered or something. Any kind of legal things I need to take care of for that kind of boat?

Tim
All motorized watercraft over 2.5hp require a license and the boat must be registered and JCI'ed. You will need a class two license for the boat (not a jet ski license - that is different). The test is given in English once a year coming up this spring. The test includes both written and driving test. It is fairly simple based on international rules of the road- buoys, lights etc.. and docking procedures.

Only once a year dang what do I do until then. I mean can I still drive my boat around? Do you know if Kadena Marina does it more often than once a year? JCI a boat O' I guess I see why it's maily the engine that's getting JCI'd right? Thanks for all your help, I think I've spoke with you before where are you located?

I'm just guessing but maybe it's worth checking out on base if you are Forces personnel. If you do have to do the Japanese thing though then you don't want to get caught without a licence. Someone told me that it was a 300,000 yen fine!

Holy cow that's crazy....Yea, I don't want to do anything wrong. I want to get all of my licensing out of the way and yes I'm a Marine.

tribaltim:
Holy cow that's crazy....Yea, I don't want to do anything wrong. I want to get all of my licensing out of the way and yes I'm a Marine.

The licsense is a Japanese one and the test is run only by the Japanese- althought he folks at the marina can give you some info on it. Although a few military people have been driving without one it is against the law and a big fine if caught. Kadena does have a waiver for their rental boats in a very limited area but not for personnally owned boats. The JCI is on the engine and the safety gear - life jackets, flares etc that are required. When launching from some of the public ramps have been asked for my paperwork quite a few times- with everything in order its no problem 5 minute check- got your life jackets and we are away.

The shop is located in Awase head out Gate 2 and continue past the police station and head throught the small town and down the big hill continue straight until you see a large Gorilla (yakiniku restaurant) turn right at the light and we are about 3 blocks down on the right. Its an old gas station with lots of boats parked out front -hard to miss. As staff is limited in the winter and we are diving quite a bit give me a call before heading over to make sure someone who speaks Englsih will be there.

Doug at 090-1940-3528

Well I'm off to Fuji for a month I'll be back around the first week of Feb. I found out that the next Lic course/testing is going in April and I can take care of the JCI without the license but I can't buy the insurance until I get my license. I can't wait though I'm really excited to get out to some of the spots that looked unobtainable by swim or shore dive. I'll look you up when I get back.

Sounds like you have things under control, however if April does not work out, I believe it is done twice a year in English in Tokyo. C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom