Question about shore diving in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are LOTS of options between wetsuit socks and 7mm booties! My TUSA booties, purchased on Bonaire, are 3mm, lowcut, and very heavy soles...like on tennis shoes. Perfect for Bonaire...and, I've used them all over the world.

Will 3 mil wetsuit "socks" with rubber soles work (specifically Scubapro 3mil Go Socks)?

I used 7 mm soft sole boots on my first trip. Though I could do it, it wasn't fun. I switched to Acona hard sole tropical boots (not bulky, just good hard soles) for subsequant trips. If you plan on useing thin boots I would confine diving to sites that don't have an ironshore. Ones that come to mind are Yellow Sub, Tori's Reef, Fuel Pier, & Windsock.

Here's a link to the Acona boots I use: Akona Low Cut Molded Sole 3.5mm Boots (AKBT638)

I used low cut tropical mares booties on all my trips and while it was fine, most of my diving was house reefs and some boat. Some southern sites fine. Some northern with a lot of ironshore sites, while I managed I would not recommend, especially if that will be the bulk of your diving. There is too much risk of a mistep or getting cut up.

Will 3 mil wetsuit "socks" with rubber soles work (specifically Scubapro 3mil Go Socks)?

We ended up "watzing" in and out holding on to each other, that worked for not falling etc. and our regular tropical booties have soles good enough to not get shredded. But you do feel the ironshore, and you do want to hold on to each other when walking on it with gear on and surf up.

I seem to remember reading that some folks use Converse sneakers as dive boots? If those are too big, how about these?

I seem to remember reading that some folks use Converse sneakers as dive boots? If those are too big, how about these?
The booties in your link have softer, flexible soles. Something like this is better.

I used these Mares on my trip. Didn't have to deal with any sea urchins at the sites we dove at, though I did wish I had a harder, firm sole on them for the ironshore. But, they did the job of protecting my feet for the week and have still been usable for another 50 dives after so far.

Wore these on my last trip. Great boots!!

42170099_10216916132957360_3272369680567762944_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom