Question about Scubapro MK25 aluminum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rocha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi guys,

This is my first post here, so let me start by saying that I found a lot of useful information, this is a great site.

My question, I had a 3 year old Scubapro MK20 ultra light (the black one) that was getting all corroded. I sent it back to Scubapro and they replaced it (no charge) with a new MK25 aluminum. Has anybody been using the MK25 aluminum for sometime? Is it prone to the same corrosion problems as the black MK20? If so, I will try to get the titanium one.

Oh, I saw that there is a lot of people here that think that those titanium or aluminum regs are just for show. Before anybody starts flaming me, let me tell you, these regs do save a lot of weight in my hand luggage (where I also carry my camera, underwater housing, etc.), and I do all my diving when I travel. So, don't tell me that I will have to add weight to my weight belt, I know that, my point is, I don't want to carry that extra weight when I travel :D . On top of that, I am a marine biologist, and I buy Scubapro gear through my institution, so I get to pay dealer price :D .

Thanks or any info,

Luiz

Here's a review by folks in the UK - I like their reviews - they tend to pull fewer punches than gear reviews in the US magazines.

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0304divertests.shtml#scubapro

Any time you have dissimilar metlas in contact wih each other, you have the potential to have a galvanic corrosion cell. The real question is how well the insulators between the two disssimilar metals are designed and how well they hold up to wear & tear.

Here's their review of the MK20 UL for example.

http://www.divernet.com/gear/dtst798.htm#g500

The tendency of metals like aluminum and titanium to be more susceptible to brittle fracture than more malleable metals is not something that can be solved with insulators though, and well worth considering.

The aluminum will not rust or corrode. Instead it will oxidize over time. the best thing is to rinse thoroughly, and service often. Because you do this for a living. you may need more frequent service.

Where are you getting the corrosion? I've had mine for 3 years and no corrosion yet. I think it's a great reg.

The Mk 25 SA was designed to replace the MK 20UL as the UL had corrosion issues around the port plugs if the washers were not used and if the plugs were not properly lubricated. It was also a bit weak in a couple areas and vulnerable to over torquing due to the all aluminum construction.

The Mk 25 SA adds stainless steel in the critical areas and creates a regultator that is much stonger and more durable but one that is only slightly heavier. It is a great deal if you want a lightweight reg without the expense and nitrox complications of titanium.

If light weight is not a requirement, the standard chrome plated brass first stage is hard to beat as it has over 40 years of service to prove it's durability.

Thanks for the info everyone.

jiveturkey:
Where are you getting the corrosion? I've had mine for 3 years and no corrosion yet. I think it's a great reg.

The corrosion was around the high pressure port, where the HP hose contacts the reg. It made the HP port leak all the time. In the last 3 years I used it for about 200 dives per year, but I did service it every 6 months and cleaned it after each use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom