Question about red filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ouscubagrad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This may or may not be a stupid question...but here it goes

Will the red filter (such as the one by backscatter) benefit me in lake diving or is it better suited for the saltwater environment?

How deep are you planing on going? Red filters add color back that is lost when going below a certain depth. If you are going less than 50 feet I would stick with clear, and use color correction. If you have a flat lens such as blur fix, than you can use any 55mm lens. I bought a fluorescent lens that's suppose to reduce the green. It's essentially just a light red filter. Haven't tried it out yet though.

@ ouscubagrad - The Red Filter (Cyan Filter) is best suited for Blue Water, where a GR Filter will provide a more pleasing outcome in Freshwater such as lake diving. There are always exceptions to the rule, but this is a solid base to follow.

Red filter
[video=youtube_share;XsR0a4vyX6Q]http://youtu.be/XsR0a4vyX6Q[/video]

GR Filter
[video=youtube_share;4o5InmD_rng]http://youtu.be/4o5InmD_rng[/video]

Also wanted to add something to think about when talking about color correction. I know most understand color filters as adding color back into the color spectrum, when in fact a color correcting filter actually filters color allowing for more natural color correction. (Hence the word filter) This is why all color correcting filters are not equal. But that's another topic. :D Hope this help?

Also wanted to add something to think about when talking about color correction. I know most understand color filters as adding color back into the color spectrum, when in fact a color correcting filter actually filters color allowing for more natural color correction. (Hence the word filter) This is why all color correcting filters are not equal. But that's another topic. :D Hope this help?

Yeah, I was referring to adding color back into the video. Not the actual process of how the filter works. My bad. Did you use color correction for these videos?

Color correction filters are used in both videos. The first video uses the CY filter. The second video uses the GR filter. Both filters are produced by URPro filters. I think it's also important to note that the videos were taken by community members and not by our staff. You can find these and other GoPro solutions at AquaProHD.com. Hope this helps?

@SteelRain - I just wanted to mention that my comment was not directed toward you. I hope I didn't offend. I wanted to point out that there is a difference between the different types of filter companies that provide color correction solutions. Understanding the science of color correction and the different filters can be confusing to a lot of members.

Color correction filters are used in both videos. The first video uses the CY filter. The second video uses the GR filter. Both filters are produced by URPro filters. I think it's also important to note that the videos were taken by community members and not by our staff. You can find these and other GoPro solutions at AquaProHD.com. Hope this helps?

@SteelRain - I just wanted to mention that my comment was not directed toward you. I hope I didn't offend. I wanted to point out that there is a difference between the different types of filter companies that provide color correction solutions. Understanding the science of color correction and the different filters can be confusing to a lot of members.

No, you didn't offend me at all. I do love the Blurfix though, especially over other flat lens fixes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom