Question about prescription lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am shopping for my first mask. I need to wear some form of corrective lenses (contacts or glasses) to see properly. I was told by someone at a LDS that they offered corrective lenses for someof the models. I was also told that I would not need to have the same level of correction as water tends to magnify and therefore enhance vision correction anyway.

My question is, should I try to get lenses that match the prescription of my current glasses or is there a formula that is used to derive the proper prescription for underwater lenses?

Also, what brands are considered "good" as far as masks go?

In reading some of the other posts, I am leaning towards scubapro twin jets for my fins.

Ted

SeaVision offers masks with your normal presciption lenses that are in your glasses. All they need is a copy of your most recent prescription from your eye doctor and the type of frame you would like. That is the kind of mask I use. Your LDS should be able to help you.

Sea Vision

I'm on my second Mares mask with the Mares factory prescription lenses. Very happy with them.
The first mask lastet 5 years and it's still as good as new and is my back up mask now.

Adobo:
1. Should I try to get lenses that match the prescription of my current glasses or is there a formula that is used to derive the proper prescription for underwater lenses?

2. Also, what brands are considered "good" as far as masks go?

3. In reading some of the other posts, I am leaning towards scubapro twin jets for my fins.

1. This I'm not entirely sure about, from what I understand though, you'd get your regular prescription.

2. Check out Hydro Optix. With these puppies, you don't even need prescription lenses, especially if you're nearsighted. We should be getting one of these puppies in the store any day now. When we do, we're going to test the living crap out of the thing amongst several different divers of different age groups, with varying eyesight. I'll keep you all posted on this.

3. I have a set of Genesis Aquaflex, and a set of Scubapro Twin Jets (Black). Both are excellent fins but are completely different. Both have their own uses, pros, and cons. For the majority of the time though, I am diving my Twin Jets. Whatever you do, make sure you try out the different colours they come in, the black ones are the stiffest. We tried the blue ones and found them WAYYYY too soft, and practically useless.... I'd assume the blue ones would be good for someone with very weak legs, or some sort of leg injury.

Hi Ted, and welcome!

As you can see, there are a lot of options... with a corresponding scale of costs.

My experience: Underwater, corrective optics are very forgiving.

I am extremely nearsighted... about minus 9.75 in both eyes, with relatively high astigmatism.

I use off-the-shelf corrective lenses that are minus 9.5... with no astigmatism correction. On the surface, I can certainly see well enough to function just fine; though I do notice a bit of distortion, mostly because of the astigmatism.

But underwater, I don't see any problem at all. Perfect.

For what it's worth, my wife has an extra mask with minus 5.5 and minus 6.0 correction. Very fuzzy for me on the surface. But underwater, I could certainly use it as an emergency backup.

So, as is often the case, it depends... on your vision, and on your budget. If you go with off-the-shelf lenses, they're typically available in half-diopter increments. Round down.

Mask brand? Again in my case, I don't have much choice... the only mask I've found with off-the-shelf lenses in my kind of power is the Technisub/Aqua Lung Look. I'm lucky it fits me just fine.

If your vision isn't that bad, you're likely to find many more options. And fit is vital.

--Marek

I have lousy eyesight, although not like Marek. I've started diving with contacts in the mid 70's. I have never lost a lens diving - only horsing around pool. Before that, I had this lens frame with a big suction cup on it that I plastered against the front mask lens.
That was pretty geeky, even for the 60's.
The problem with a corrective mask is that it's expensive and you have to walk around the boat with it on to see so you're gonna look like a 21st century geek.
I tried the Hydrooptix - I owned three and sold them at DEMA. I tried dearly to love this mask but alas, the problems outweighed the virtues, although it might be ok for extended dives in caves.
I won't comment on your choice of split fins except to say that you will never have to worry about me borrowing them for any reason at any time under any circumstances.

Adobo:
I am shopping for my first mask. I need to wear some form of corrective lenses (contacts or glasses) to see properly. I was told by someone at a LDS that they offered corrective lenses for someof the models. I was also told that I would not need to have the same level of correction as water tends to magnify and therefore enhance vision correction anyway.

My question is, should I try to get lenses that match the prescription of my current glasses or is there a formula that is used to derive the proper prescription for underwater lenses?

Also, what brands are considered "good" as far as masks go?

You should not be considering brands ... you should be considering a mask that fits your face properly. A good brand that does not fit well will leak, and will be worthless to you. Whatever brand you choose, make sure the mask skirt forms a proper seal on your face.

You will want to choose a dual-lens mask (one lens for each eye) as opposed to a single-lens mask (one lens for the whole mask). Depending on your prescription, you will want to avoid masks that offer "extended vision" ... such as the Big Eyes mask ... because the curvature of the lens will introduce some amount of distortion in your peripheral vision if the lens is too large.

Lenses can be made to your prescription ... depending on where you live it can either be done by a local optician or be sent out to a place that specializes in making prescription lenses for masks.

Another important consideration is that if you wear bifocals, make sure you specify them for your mask lenses ... otherwise, your near vision will be affected and you will have difficulty reading your gauges.

Hope this helps ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree with Bob, find a mask that fits and forget about brands or cost. I have had good luck with Prescription Dive Mask. They have been more than helpful over the phone. Linda will talk your ear off however. :)
http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/

As for the fins, I will not ask to borrow them either, I have yet to find a pair of split fins I liked. Those who love them love them and those who do not don't.

Buy a mask from a local shop so you can touch it, feel it and put it on. The LDS will be able to help you with fit.

But there's another reason.... Once you buy it just say okay, have this perscription put in it and hand it over.

It's about $110 to $140 +/- depending on bi-focals or not. They send them off and you go back and pick them up. How could anything be less worry and hassle than that?

I've had mine for a year. Absolutely changed my diving experience and know what, I don't see that bad anyway. So they are very nice to have. You'll love them.

I've had several pair of Ocean Master but there's probably a lot of good ones. I just wouldn't put $125.00 in lenses in a $30 mask. Get a decent mask.

I've had the same experience as Marek - I use an -8.0 and -7.5 lens in my mask with astigmatism ... on land things are a bit distorted, especially at a distance, but underwater I have no problem. I might if I ever got into water with 300ft + vis, but over here its rarely over 150ft...

As was stated, find one that fits first, then get the lenses for them. You can get custom ground lenses, but if they are not necessary I'd avoid them due to cost. (worth it "if" you need them though ... I've considered them for on land just so I can walk without getting a bit dizzy while getting to the water, but so far I'm quite happy with stock lenses)

For fins, you'll find a myriad of opinions on the board about them ... Personally I like the original ScubaPro Jet fins... others like their splits etc... know the benefits of each, see which fits best and then make your choice ...

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom