Question About Padi Tec Rec Instructor Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Father

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Do you get certified as "all encompassing" Tec Rec instructor that can teach all of the Tec Rec courses?
Or do you get the "rec" instructor cert and then get certified for each level of Tec Rec (e.g. certified for teach Tec 40, but not Tec 45 or 50)?

If I remember correctly:

1. 'Tec Instructor' allows you to teach the Tec40 and Intro-to-Tec only.

2. 'Tec DEEP Instructor' allows you to teach the full Tec40-45-50 program.

3. 'Tec TRIMIX Instructor' allows you to teach the Tec65 and Tec90 courses; as well as apply for the TecRec distinctive to add normoxic trimix modules to the Tec45 and Tec50 courses.

To teach cave, technical wreck or technical rescue etc - you need to submit a TecRec distinctive specialty application for the course you wrote/obtained and satisfy PADI that you are qualified and competent to teach that activity.

When I qualified, there were only 2 levels; Tech Deep and Tech Trimix instructor - but that was for the old course syllabus; before the days of Tec40/45/50/65/90.

Last edited:
I was a PADI rec isntructor who was also a TDI tec instructor. In crossing over to PADI tec, I first got the Tec Deep instructor certification, allowing me to teach through Tec 50. Then I got the Trimix instructor rating.

It would be rare for any agency to have a new instructor teaching their highest level course unless they crossed over with a wealth of prior teaching experience. Also some tec40 instructors might not have even done a tec90 level course or dives at that level at all.

Also some tec40 instructors might not have even done a tec90 level course or dives at that level at all.

I'm not sure if the requirement has changed.... but 'Tec Instructor' only required Tec45 diver rating, plus MSDT with Deep and Nitrox specialty ratings.... and then a pretty basic course and assist with a CD.

Very far from being an expert, experienced technical diver...

Andy you are very close.

MSDT
Nitrox Specialty Instructor
Deep Specialty Instructor
Either Complete a Tec Instructor's Course completed by a Tec Instructor Trainer or apply directly to PADI with crossover credentials.

I did not find it in the 2016 Instructor's Manual, but I think I read that the minimum preq for the Tec Instructor's course was Tec 45 or equivalent on their crossover table.

Agreed...very far from being an "experienced" Tec diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom