Question about PADI adventure diver and AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox_DiverNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all I have a question about PADI Adventure Diver. I am taking my AOW soon and it says that adventure diver is a subset of AOW. Does this mean you get two certifications after taking AOW? If you don't get two separate certifications will AOW alone allow me to take wreck diver and drift since they both require Adventure Diver as a prerequisite? Thanks for the help!

Ask the shop where you are taking the class. They certainly can issue you both certificates. But there's no particular reason to have the Adventure Diver if you have AOW.

Yes. AOW allows you to take any course that has Adventure Diver as a prerequisite.

Ask the shop where you are taking the class. They certainly can issue you both certificates. But there's no particular reason to have the Adventure Diver if you have AOW.

Yes. AOW allows you to take any course that has Adventure Diver as a prerequisite.
thanks!

Adventure Diver means you have done 3 Adventure dives.
AOW means you have done 5, of which one must be Deep and another must be Navigation.
So, Adventure is indeed a subset of AOW. It provides zero value if you have AOW, and will cost you for the card.
Adventure Diver is sometime a consolation prize if the student cannot finish AOW.
AOW is a higher level of certification than is Adventure Diver, and suffices as the prereq for nearly all specialties that require a prereq beyond OW.
Note that the prereq for RESCUE is not just Adventure Diver, but also requires that one of the 3 adventure dives be Navigation.

Adventure Diver means you have done 3 Adventure dives.
AOW means you have done 5, of which one must be Deep and another must be Navigation.
So, Adventure is indeed a subset of AOW. It provides zero value if you have AOW, and will cost you for the card.
Adventure Diver is sometime a consolation prize if the student cannot finish AOW.
AOW is a higher level of certification than is Adventure Diver, and suffices as the prereq for nearly all specialties that require a prereq beyond OW.
Note that the prereq for RESCUE is not just Adventure Diver, but also requires that one of the 3 adventure dives be Navigation.
sweet thanks for clearing that up for me!

Hello all I have a question about PADI Adventure Diver. I am taking my AOW soon and it says that adventure diver is a subset of AOW. Does this mean you get two certifications after taking AOW? If you don't get two separate certifications will AOW alone allow me to take wreck diver and drift since they both require Adventure Diver as a prerequisite? Thanks for the help!

You do not need any course or certificate to do drift diving. Just go with experienced divers on drift dives. PADI sell a lot of certifications that really are not necessary for you to become an experienced diver.

You do not need any course or certificate to do drift diving. Just go with experienced divers on drift dives. PADI sell a lot of certifications that really are not necessary for you to become an experienced diver.

although i agree a diver needs very few certs in order to go very far as a diver, not everyone has access to a mentor or other experienced divers willing to help a new diver. sometimes having a good instructor introduce you to a new type of diving is the best option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom