Question about Icon Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

igotag!

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I noticed something with my Icon the other day. When I have 5lbs in each trim pocket, and 10lbs in each side pouch, why is it that when my BC is fully inflated my BC still sinks if I'm not in it??? It is rated for 44lbs of buoyancy...so is my friends Zeagle Ranger and it can hold the entire get up above water. Any answer mares?

Anybody?

apparently, too much weight for the lift it's capable of providing. It ain't rocket science. :)

apparently, too much weight for the lift it's capable of providing. It ain't rocket science. :)

Using your logic...However if the BC is rated to hold 10lbs in trim and 26lbs dumbable AND i'm only using 10lbs in trim and 20lbs in dumpable....why doesn't it float?!

Josh,

I don't have an answer as to why you BC does not float with your test, but we do stand behind our lift capacity, our testing is very rigid in determining the specs.

If you want us to check out your BC, let me know.

Phil

Josh, I had a couple thoughts. Is your tank and reg attached and could they be adding negative boyancy to your rig? And is there anything else attached to the BC? Could a portion of your bladder be stuck together not allowing it to fully expand?

Jim

Of course my tank and reg are attached, and yes thats adding negative buoyancy...no nothing is stopping it from fully expanding...BUT if a BC can't support the amount of weight it has room for (in this case has room for 36lbs in dumpable and trim) a tank, and a reg...what good is it?

Well, if it's fully inflated and it's rated for 44lbs of lift and it still sinks then you have more than 44lbs of junk on it. Like Randy said, it ain't rocket science.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom