Question about full face masks w/comm system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bajagirl06

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a recreational diver and also a writer. Currently working on my 2nd novel and I have a few research questions I hope someone out there can help me with.

I've seen, but never used, the full face masks with communication systems. I'm primarily interested in learning about the older style ones. When were the first diver-to-diver and diver-to-surface comm systems developed? How did they work and what were the most common problems with them? In comparison to today's models, what are the major differences?

And what types would you recommend if you were to buy brand new?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Kristene

I thought they used to popcans with a string j/k. Can't say about the older stuff, are you thinking about getting a newer one?

At the surface panel you could patch diver-to-diver, but the comms operator would have to workthe press to talk as I recall.

OK, I suppose I should specify, (I didn't realize they went back so far!), by "older" I mean, let's say, 15 or 20 years ago.

I'm not looking to purchase one, this is all for novel research. But it would be helpful to me to understand the difference between newer and older styles of full face masks and comm systems. Two of my characters are using older equipment, (for budget reasons), on a dive to search for a shipwreck, (if that helps).

Thanks

What are they using? AGAs? Band Masks? Helmets? Why are they using them? Are they diving surface supplied or SCUBA? Are they using wired coms as part of the surface supplied system or wireless? Push to Talk or VOX? Sorry to ask so many questions.

No worries, questions are good, helps me focus. What are they using? Good question, I didn't know there were so many different varieties. I'm thinking AGAs, (I used to work in the film business and I've seen them used, so that's what I was thinking of), though I don't know all that much about them.

Why are they using them? Well, they are diving in cold water, but also for the plot.

They are diving SCUBA.

I was thinking wireless.

What is the difference between push to talk and VOX? Like I said, I don't know anything about these systems.

Kristene

If it's cold and they want FFMs then they're diving AGAs. VOX is "voice operated" you blow on the mike, hear it click on the talk. You learn to keep the circuit open for your entire paragraph. You can't hear (receive) while you are talking. Push to talk means that you're always listening except when you push a transmit button. As long as you hold the button down you are transmitting and can't hear (receive).

OK, that's very helpful. Now, what would you say are the differences between an AGA mask with a push to talk system (or VOX) you would find today vs. one you would find 15 or 20 years ago? Have there been any major changes/advances in that technology?

OK, that's very helpful. Now, what would you say are the differences between an AGA mask with a push to talk system (or VOX) you would find today vs. one you would find 15 or 20 years ago? Have there been any major changes/advances in that technology?
Pretty much the same. The system that they'd likely have been using 15 years ago is likely this one:

2010-AGA2s.jpg

except the mask would have been gray and the entire "Aquacom" package would ahve been black (no yellow sticker).

Back
Top Bottom