Question about freelance writing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Cool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking of writing a series of dive articles about a few Philippine dive destinations that is suitable for a scuba magazine. I am already booked to be there for around 6 weeks early next year. Since I will be keeping a detailed journal of my travels, I thought of contributing some of my stories to an interested magazine or magazines. I am not a seasoned freelance writer but I am quite confident with my writing skills. I have a few questions about how things work in this world of freelance writing.
1. Do you write the article first then send the manuscript to the magazine editor as an unsolicited manuscipt?
2. Do you sell the idea to the magazine editor then get commissioned to do the articles?
3. (This next question might sound dumb) Any dive related travel article is not complete without photos both topside and underwater. Does this mean I need to contact an amateur underwater photographer to help me out? If so, I am sure I can ask one of the PPD (Philippine Paradise Divers) to be my buddy photographer. I defintely cannot afford someone like Stephen Frink is a good amateur photographer a good way to start?
4. If your article gets selected, how much (more or less) do you get paid? A range of figures would do.

Your feedback, comments, suggestions and advice would be highly appreciated.:D

Scubadiving magazine lists where to submit unsolicited articles but not how and states no unsolicited photos. It might be best to contact the magazines directly and find out the answers to these and other questions. I'm sure they'd be happy to explain to you. If you get any good info, please post it back here for other aspiring writers. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom