Question about drysuit service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aerobics111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Based on my observation, there's less emphasis on drysuit service compared to reg, BC, tank etc. What do you guys typically do?
  • Do you send in your drysuit to professionals for inspection / service?
  • If yes, do you do it annually or biannually? Or do you only do it when you sense something is not right?
  • If no, is it a good idea to try to learn how to disassemble inflator and dump valves (by watching youtube videos) and do cleaning / lubing by yourself? Normally I wouldn't dare to open up any of my other gears but I've been told drysuit valves are simple enough that it is doable with little risk.
Thanks for your opinions!

I hose it off when I get home, if it leaks I repair it after years if a valve gets sluggish I pull it off and soak it. Not much to it.

I hose it off when I get home, if it leaks I repair it after years if a valve gets sluggish I pull it off and soak it. Not much to it.
So you just soak it without taking it apart?

Drysuit service? Nope. Only worry about it if there’s an issue.

proactively replace seals as they look worn and keep the zipper lubed. Otherwise patch leaks as needed

I just got new socks put on mine, I didn't want to do that. But as far as regular service and maintenance, I stand in a shower or under a hose after salt and hang it on my home made dryer. I replace my seals hopefully before they blow out and lubricate the zipper.

Dry suits need a lot of service. They all develop leaks eventually and the zippers always wear out in time. Some leaks you can fix yourself, but zippers typically require more expertise to replace. Sadly, dry suit service can be very slow. Waiting months for a repair is not unusual. Those of us who dive dry a lot (weekly or more often) often have two dry suits so that we can still dive if one is in the shop.

Silicone liquid spray in the power inflator and dump valve. Blow out excess. Try to only get in valve. If on the material the mfr says it makes it hard to do repairs. Glue will not adhere well. For my power inflator on my BC I also get it done too. The first stage on the regulator I have not, but thought it could also be done without any disassembly. Thoughts on that last one?

Silicone liquid spray in the power inflator and dump valve. Blow out excess. Try to only get in valve. If on the material the mfr says it makes it hard to do repairs. Glue will not adhere well. For my power inflator on my BC I also get it done too. The first stage on the regulator I have not, but thought it could also be done without any disassembly. Thoughts on that last one?
I’ve used a water based silicone I got from sea soft on a sluggish inlet valve but usually soaking is all that’s needed, it can work on inflators too but I use Zeagle BX inflators which are very easy to rebuild.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom