Question about buddy diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been diving for about 5 years now and I was wondering how do I know if I am ready for buddy diving? :D

Actually, I was just thinking this morning that I really lost the taste for solo diving. I think it is something that has started this year when I was on a charter with two other divers. We did the first dive together, but the two divers skipped the second dive because it was too cold. I thought about going solo, but 1) I would have felt awkward having the two other divers waiting around for me while I dove and 2) more importantly, I just didn't feel like diving alone.

A few years ago, I was less anxious when I dove alone- I swam slower, lower SAC, etc. Now, I think I would rather dive with buddies, especially on the easy dives in the quarry because it gives me something to do. On the boat dives, I would still rather leave the bad buddies on the boat or with the DM- mostly because I want to actually see the wreck and enjoy the dive.

Anyone else experience anything like this? :popcorn:

I've been diving for about 5 years now and I was wondering how do I know if I am ready for buddy diving? :D

Actually, I was just thinking this morning that I really lost the taste for solo diving. I think it is something that has started this year when I was on a charter with two other divers. We did the first dive together, but the two divers skipped the second dive because it was too cold. I thought about going solo, but 1) I would have felt awkward having the two other divers waiting around for me while I dove and 2) more importantly, I just didn't feel like diving alone.

A few years ago, I was less anxious when I dove alone- I swam slower, lower SAC, etc. Now, I think I would rather dive with buddies, especially on the easy dives in the quarry because it gives me something to do. On the boat dives, I would still rather leave the bad buddies on the boat or with the DM- mostly because I want to actually see the wreck and enjoy the dive.

Anyone else experience anything like this? :popcorn:

Sure, but I'm extremely careful when buddy diving because of the greater risk. And I don't tell anyone I'm doing it. :D

Actually, I did some buddy dives yesterday for the first time in quite a while and it was a lot of fun, probably more so than had I dove that site solo, since it was new to me and conditions were a little challenging.

I find buddy dives generally require more skill than solo dives because of the need to communicate effectively and be aware of the other person's needs....so I usually take the easy way by going solo. :)

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom