Question about blind stitch sewing machine for neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you mind letting me know what kind of machine you have that works? We are looking at finding one that works. We tried the cheap one from Amazon and it does not work with 5mm neoprene.

For anyone else curious, the REX or Consew from Amazon for around $300 will not work for making wetsuits.
Hi pizzajohn, I was almost buying one of those cheap machines.
Could you explain with some detail why they will not work? on Amazon the description explicitly mentions wetsuits.
Thanks!

Could you explain with some detail why they will not work? on Amazon the description explicitly mentions wetsuits.
Thanks!
marcho ... I wouldn't waste your money on a new "Amazon" machine. Most all of the newer ones have plastic gears and don't hold up very well if you do anything more than sew dresses and shirts. Pick up an older machine that has all metal gears and at least a 0.8 amp motor The higher the amp rating the more power it has. Mine have at least 1.0 amp motors. The big thing is you need to use a "Walking Foot" that mechanically advances the neoprene so it doesn't stretch or bunch up. A "Roller Foot" will work but you have to be careful with the foot pressure so it feeds smoothly. I prefer the "Walking Foot". Lots of good older machines available on eBay and Craigslist but you check with your local Sewing Shops and see what have available. A lot of these shops take older machines in trade on newer ones. Others may have different advise but that's just my $0.02 worth ... Good Luck ... JP ...

Thanks! Makes a lot of sense.
I am now based in Europe (Austria), which means I have to check what's available here. But I think your advice of asking Sewing Shops is the right way. They could and will also provide advice and support.
When I was living in Southern Italy I used to go diving 3-4 times a week all year long and I used to make my own suits: I glued the neoprene and hand stitched it but it took me months to complete a suit, mostly because of the very slow hand stitching. Now I am older and want to save some time.

Thanks!
JP_SCUBA nailed it. We ended up buying a bigger machine for our needs. We got the Foxsew blind stitch machine and are happy with it. It was complicated to setup and has a big learning curve, but once you get it, the results are good. After import taxes, etc, we paid $3800 for it.

JP_SCUBA nailed it. We ended up buying a bigger machine for our needs. We got the Foxsew blind stitch machine and are happy with it. It was complicated to setup and has a big learning curve, but once you get it, the results are good. After import taxes, etc, we paid $3800 for it.

Thanks pizzajohn ... Those Foxsew machines are great machines. I've got a NECCHI Super Nova from the 1960's, Italian made, 1.2 amp motor and it takes everything I throw at it. The presser foot fits the thickness of 6 quarters under it when fully lifted. It's a nice machine and is very smooth. Anyway, Thanks.... JP ...

Our local wetsuit repair uses a Bonis machine for blind stiches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom