Question about blind stitch sewing machine for neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pizzajohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there! I am wanting to sew some neoprene and I found some pretty inexpensive blind stitch sewing machines on amazon and wondering if anyone has tried them (or something similar) on 5mm neoprene. I plan on using wetsuit cement before stitching.

I already have a normal sewing machine that I use regularly for sewing projects, so only looking for something that can do blind stiches on neoprene up to 5mm thick. Thanks so much!!

Did you have any luck with this? I am also interested in a blind stitcher for wetsuit repair. Any learning you can share?

Did you have any luck with this? I am also interested in a blind stitcher for wetsuit repair. Any learning you can share?
We are still interested in this, but have been too busy to learn more. We are thinking about buying the one from amazon just to try it out. If we do, we will report back here.

I have a large commercial blind stitch machine. It works well for neoprene seams. I have never tried a cheapy, but if the machine works, it is the right type of machine.

I have a large commercial blind stitch machine. It works well for neoprene seams. I have never tried a cheapy, but if the machine works, it is the right type of machine.
Do you mind letting me know what kind of machine you have that works? We are looking at finding one that works. We tried the cheap one from Amazon and it does not work with 5mm neoprene.

For anyone else curious, the REX or Consew from Amazon for around $300 will not work for making wetsuits.

Do you mind letting me know what kind of machine you have that works? We are looking at finding one that works. We tried the cheap one from Amazon and it does not work with 5mm neoprene.

For anyone else curious, the REX or Consew from Amazon for around $300 will not work for making wetsuits.
I had a US Stitchline by Juki.

I sold it a couple of weeks ago.

I had a US Stitchline by Juki.

I sold it a couple of weeks ago.
Were you pretty happy with this machine? Would it work well for 5 mm open cell neoprene? We are on the search for a used machine so keeping our eyes and ears open for good ones.

Were you pretty happy with this machine? Would it work well for 5 mm open cell neoprene? We are on the search for a used machine so keeping our eyes and ears open for good ones.
Honestly, I didn't use it much. It worked on neoprene, but I only used it about three times in a couple of years. Hence my selling it.
The shop that bought it is planning to use it for wetsuit repairs.

For anyone buying looking at buying a machine, I have more info here...

We ended up buying the Top Eagle Blind Stitch Machine (TBS-1430) and so far are super happy with it. We have made two wetsuits with it so far and there was a huge learning curve, but once we figured it out, we are getting pretty stitches and all is well. We paid about $2700 for the machine including shipping to Hawaii plus $600 in import duties so it was not cheap!

We are sewing 5mm open cell for free dive suits (that we use for scuba). Next project is a couple surf suits.

For anyone buying looking at buying a machine, I have more info here...

We ended up buying the Top Eagle Blind Stitch Machine (TBS-1430) and so far are super happy with it. We have made two wetsuits with it so far and there was a huge learning curve, but once we figured it out, we are getting pretty stitches and all is well. We paid about $2700 for the machine including shipping to Hawaii plus $600 in import duties so it was not cheap!

We are sewing 5mm open cell for free dive suits (that we use for scuba). Next project is a couple surf suits.
Hey John.....
Are there patterns available for wetsuits somewhere or are these you're making of your own design?
My current wetsuit has developed some fit issues (or should I say I've devekoped the fit issues) and I thought about altering it instead of sheling out the $$$$$ for a new one. However, if there are patterns available then I just might try making my own. I currently have, I think 7 sewing machines of various types as I've done upholstery work on the side. Also, what glue seems to work best? Do you use a heavy nylon thread? TIA for any info you care to share ....

Back
Top Bottom