Question about Aqualung Titan and water temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rivers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I own the Titan regulator. I bought because I am constantly traveling and am always in the warm waters of the Caribbean. It looks like I am moving to the UK next year with my girlfriend. Has anyone used the Titan in colder waters? I know it would not perform well under 50 F, but I am not looking into getting into waters that cold just yet. Thanks

I have used one in 46 degree F waters. It functioned fine. I would recommend purchasing the environmental kit and having it installed. Aqualung part number 128143.

The Titan does not have the heat exchanger like the LX version and will freeze up faster, however, in waters warmer than 50 you should have no issues.

Good luck with your relocation.

I've been using an Aqualung Titan for five years in water between 45 and 55 degrees F. I have had one freeflow -- it may have been a freeze-up, although neither water nor air temperatures were low that day. Nothing was found to be wrong with the regulator when I took it in for service after the event, and it has not recurred. I probably have three or four hundred cold water dives on the reg. My husband has the same regulator, and as far as I recall, his only freeflow event was on his Zeagle doubles regs.

Dear Aqualung Titan users:

I'm looking into buying my husband a regulator as a gift. He is a "recreational," "vacation" diver. I keep reading how good Scubapro MK25 S600 is. But it's also ~$200 more. Is the Scubapro really worth the money? Or are you quite happy with the Titan? Which octopus would you recommend for Aqualung Titan?

Thanks very much!!
Stephanie

The titan was voted as a top 16 muscle reg by scuba mag about 3-4 yrs ago and is a work horse and a lot of aqualung have the parts for them as for the spro, save some bucks and go with the MK17 G250V. It is evviro sealed and performs great and is indestructable. the secon stage is an all metal poppet construction, not polymer. I'm not knocking the MK25/S600, its a great reg and the newer version is sweet. IMHO the MK17 with a G250V or S600 is a great performer. I am a Spro repair tech, but I do own titans too.

Rivers, Aqualung North America recommends you not use it in water colder than 50 degrees as it may freeze up. If it is an LX it will have the ribbed heat exchanger on the 2nd stage. It would help you out to install the Enviro kit as mentioned as it will give you a better edge against the cold.

I have the standard Titan/XR2 2nd, no enviro kit, and dive the Sonoma Coast of California here, 45-55F, probably 40 dives over the last few years, never a hiccup.

IMHO the MK17 with a G250V or S600 is a great performer. I am a Spro repair tech, but I do own titans too.

Thanks JimmyC! What about MK25 but with G250V? I only ask, because that's how it's sold at LeisurePro. Another question about AquaLung is, are the authorized repair centers popular? I have Apeks and it's a pain getting it serviced.

Could you educate me on Titan vs. Titan LX (besides the ribbed heat exchanger JimmyC mentioned)? The local shop only carries Titan LX 2009, but no Titan. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom