Queries about the Mares Icon HD (NOT the Net Ready version)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sol

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there, and please forgive the newbie questions. :dork2:

I recently acquired a pre-owned Mares Icon HD (product code 414119 - the version prior to the Net Ready). Haven't had a chance to dive with it yet because the battery needed to be replaced - dive shop sent it back to Mares for that.

I haven't gotten a tank transmitter, but I'm gathering from the discussions in these forums and from the Mares product info that there's been a problem with the air integration feature of this computer, and that the Net Ready version was intended to address those problems. Is this correct?

Am I right in thinking that the computer will not feature air integration as originally shipped? If not, can this be corrected via firmware upgrade?

Also, I have a Mac. Does the supplied software work with Mac computers, or is there another program I should consider? I've read some posts about something called MacDive ...

Last edited:
Hi Sol,

the computer you own is not able to be upgraded to air integration. It never was prepared to have it. It was in interims solution to satisfy the MARES customers waiting for the announced AI model. They advertised the Icon HD with AI upgrade option but difficulties in hardware and license properties caused a complete rebuild of hardware. So both models are different in hard- and software.
If you got an "old" Icon HD use it and be happy (use your finimeter! you don't need the AI function I think) because the NetReady has a high power consumption: It drains for 5% per day and you need to reload it after 3-4 dives to be prepared for next day. Thie old one least for 6-7 dives (=2 days diving) and drains only 1.5%/day.
You can use the diversdiary for MAC by MARES, but for firmware update you need a Windows PC.

Uli

Thanks Uli. I can't really complain because I got a pretty good deal on it. Just waiting for it to come back from Mares so I can try it out.

So it drains 1.5% per day? Isn't there any way to turn it off when you're not using it? :confused4:

No Sol, you can't switch of. But it is not really a problem such with the NetReady. So if you want to go to destinations with not seized power supply, just use a solar charger with usb plug. It works perfect.

Hi again Uli:

Thanks for all this information. Are you familiar with either Divers Diary for Mac or MacDive?

Hi Sol,
The original Icon HD computer is not compatible with Air Integration. It does not have the hardware to link to a transmitter, therefore a firmware upgrade is not a solution.

We have MAC (IDIARY) available for download from the Mares website. This should interact with your MAC and ICON HD.

The best way to minimize battery consumption is to put it to sleep from the home screen. It does not stop battery usage 100% however it will minimize it. You can also just leave it alone for a period of time and it should do the same thing.

I hope this helps and enjoy your new but slightly used computer.

Best,

Reactions: Sol
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom